Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arri69
Visitor
Visitor

JTAG cable for the AC701 Evaluation Board

Jump to solution

Hi 

I have the Artix-7 FPGA AC701 Evaluation Kit built into my Ubuntu desktop.

In Vivado (I am fixed to use 2015.1) when I try to open the target in the Hardware Manager, I get 

"ERROR: [Labtoolstcl 44-26] No hardware targets exist on the server [localhost]
Check to make sure the cable targets connected to this machine are properly connected
and powered up, then use the disconnect_hw_server and connect_hw_server commands
to re-register the hardware targets."

I guess that is because I don't have a JTAG cable connected to the AC701 board. The board came with a "Mini USB cable" and a "Micro USB cable" as described in https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/ek-a7-ac701-g.html#hardware. 

What I am not sure about is: Is actually the "Micro USB cable" the JTAG cable that needs to be connected to the USB-JTAG Connector of the board? And I would connect the other end to one of the USB ports of the desktop?

Do I also need to plug in the Mini USB cable ?

Very basic questions, but I am worried to force in these cables and breaking something.

Thank you for the help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ddn

Hi @Arri69 ,

For JTAG, only Micro USB Cable you need to connect. Refer page 10 of UG952 (v1.4).

ac701.PNG

What I am not sure about is: Is actually the "Micro USB cable" the JTAG cable that needs to be connected to the USB-JTAG Connector of the board? And I would connect the other end to one of the USB ports of the desktop?

>> Yes, Micro USB Cable for JTAG Port and and connect other end of Micro USB Cable to desktop.

>> Not Necessary. You need this only if you use UART Port.

Regards,
Deepak D N
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please Kudo and Accept as a Solution, If it helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ddn

Hi @Arri69 ,

For JTAG, only Micro USB Cable you need to connect. Refer page 10 of UG952 (v1.4).

ac701.PNG

>> Yes, Micro USB Cable for JTAG Port and and connect other end of Micro USB Cable to desktop.

>> Not Necessary. You need this only if you use UART Port.

Regards,
Deepak D N
Please Kudo and Accept as a Solution, If it helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos