UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer @ida
Observer

JTAG programming of FPGA over SPI

Jump to solution

Hi,

I would like to use SPI to program a Zynq over its JTAG interface. In my project I only have an SPI available and unfortunatelly the mode pins on my Zynq are not accessible. Is it possible to "emulate" a JTAG over SPI? I looked at the JTAG signals with an oscilloscope and figured the clock is always constant and the data being sent, apart from the commands at the beggining, is the bitwise data of the bitstream. I would really appreciate some help on this.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Observer @ida
Observer

Re: JTAG programming of FPGA over SPI

Jump to solution

Update: I ended up using the SVF Files generated from Vivado and a standalone converter for iMPACT to convert these files to *.xsvf, based on the xapp058 application note. By using the xsvf player it was possible to generate the necessary signals to program a Zedboard over IO pins. However, for an SPI only solution it is worth having an FPGA with the slave serial programming mode enabled - everything else becomes quite complicated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

I think it is not possible to "emulate" a JTAG over SPI by using ISE/VIvado tools.To know more details about Zynq device configuration please refer http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug470_7Series_Config.pdf  

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

It should be possible. I've seen a range of projects where the SPI peripheral on a microcontroller is used for JTAG. Have a look at the Versaloon project; I believe it does this using an STM32 chip.

However, you will not be able to make it work via iMPACT or Vivado (or any other Xilinx tool) (eg. as a cheap alternative to a Platform Cable USB II). These tools are looking for specific adaptors, either Xilinx or Digilent models, and won't accept anything else.

Highlighted
Observer @ida
Observer

Jump to solution

Update: I ended up using the SVF Files generated from Vivado and a standalone converter for iMPACT to convert these files to *.xsvf, based on the xapp058 application note. By using the xsvf player it was possible to generate the necessary signals to program a Zedboard over IO pins. However, for an SPI only solution it is worth having an FPGA with the slave serial programming mode enabled - everything else becomes quite complicated.

0 Kudos
Participant dsingh
Participant

Jump to solution

Hello @ida, When you mentioned "over IO pins", did you mean JTAG pins? Appreciate your response. 

0 Kudos