cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alexandicity
Visitor
Visitor

Newbie - Talking to a Spartan-6's PROM on CMOD S6 failing (Impact)

Hello!

I'm new to FPGAs, but I feel my brain swelling with new knowledge by the minute!

I have a CMOD C6 starter/demo board with a XC6SLX4-2CPG196 and a S25FL128S Q-SPI PROM onboard. I am able, through Impact (and Adept) to detect and program the FPGA fine, and I see that my .BIT is working well. 

Now I want to convert it to a .MCS and load it onto the PROM so I can boot into a configured device. Problems abound. Impact (and Adept) both fail to find the PROM device on a boundary scan (maybe normal behaviour since not on the JTAG bus?). Following a  youtube CMOD tutorial, I create my .MCS file and manually add the SPI device. Then I try to write to it - and, after several minutes, will fail. Any operation with the PROM fails, it looks as if the SPI isn't working right. Below is a typical console output when doing a checksum (which I figured would be the "simplest" option). 

Can you see what might be going wrong? Or how I might progress debugging it?

Output from checksum:

// *** BATCH CMD : Checksum -p 1 -spionly
PROGRESS_START - Starting Operation.
Maximum TCK operating frequency for this device chain: 25000000.
Validating chain...
Boundary-scan chain validated successfully.
'1': IDCODE is '012018' (in hex).
'1': ID Check passed.
'1': IDCODE is '012018' (in hex).
'1': ID Check passed.
'1': Reading device contents...
done.
All Checksum calculations are performed on the address range spanned by the configuration file.
ERROR:iMPACT:223 - '1': The calculated checksum (0x0f5518f7) differs from the expected checksum (0x0ac7f43f).
S25FL128S Status Register Contents = 0x0000.
QUAD : 0
BP2 : 0
BP1 : 0
BP0 : 0
PROGRESS_END - End Operation.
Elapsed time = 635 sec.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
pratham
Scholar
Scholar

@alexandicity Perform the flash programming and post the entire log here.

-Pratham

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos