Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Power fo the FPGA BANK

Jump to solution

when using the FPGA,  the unused Bank , should I power ? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Power fo the FPGA BANK

Jump to solution

Hi @zhanghefu ,

Yes, you will save some static power by not powering unused Banks and IO's in the corresponding bank.

Functionality and performance remains same, since VCCINT voltage you are giving to FPGA is constant value.

Leaving the VCCO pins of unused I/O banks floating reduces the level of ESD protection on these pins and the I/O pins in the bank. For maximum ESD protection in an unused bank, all VCCO pins in that bank should be connected together to the same potential, whether that be a valid VCCO voltage, or a floating plane. I/O pins are also recommended to be connected to the same potential as VCCO, or they can be left floating.

For more information refer PCB Guidelines userguide of corresponding Device family.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Deepak D N
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please Kudo and Accept as a Solution, If it helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Mentor
Mentor

Jump to solution

You don't have to; it'll save a little bit of power if you leave the unused bank un-powered.

On the other hand, it's a lot easier to do modifications to the board if all banks are powered (so you have those pins available if required).

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

Yeah, In order to reduce the power consumption, I want to know the unused FPGA Bank, Can I power down the bank? for example, BANK15, BANK16,BANK17 I use, but the BANK31, BANK32, BANK33 I do not use, if I power down the BANK31, BANK32,BANK33, if the FPGA function and performance is influenced?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @zhanghefu ,

Yes, you will save some static power by not powering unused Banks and IO's in the corresponding bank.

Functionality and performance remains same, since VCCINT voltage you are giving to FPGA is constant value.

Leaving the VCCO pins of unused I/O banks floating reduces the level of ESD protection on these pins and the I/O pins in the bank. For maximum ESD protection in an unused bank, all VCCO pins in that bank should be connected together to the same potential, whether that be a valid VCCO voltage, or a floating plane. I/O pins are also recommended to be connected to the same potential as VCCO, or they can be left floating.

For more information refer PCB Guidelines userguide of corresponding Device family.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Deepak D N
Please Kudo and Accept as a Solution, If it helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos