UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant nawcadengineer2015
Participant

Program Kintex-7 160T

Jump to solution

Hello team,

I'm using a Kintex-7 to program another Kintex-7.  The FPGA is set up as a slave select map x32 and it's being programed by another FPGA which through PCIE.  The software graps bitstream file and send through PCIE and I wrote logic that handles the programming (done,init_B,csi_b,rdwr_b,data,cclk).  The bitstream file is being send to me and I just toggle csi_B until Done is high (non-continous).  I have several questions.

1) I program FPGA2 by toggle csi_b until Done line is high. I noticed that when the Done is high, the FPGA is partial configured.  At the same time, I still have bitstream data and if I don't write all data then my FPGA is not fully programmed. When the Done line is high, I continue to write data for another 4us until there's no more bitstream data then my FPGA is fully configured.  Based on the FPGA Configuration (UG), when the Done line is high the FPGA is configured and write is ignored.  How come in my case If want to fully programm the FPGA I have to continue writing data even when Done is high? 

2) I have one bitstream file and programmed successfully everytime.  Also, I have tried it on mutiple boards and programmed successfully.  I have issue when I tried another bitstream file (different design), the Done line never go high. I have tried it on multiple boards and Done line never go high. I verify the design setup in Vivado 2018.2 to make sure it target the right device and everything looks good. I also take that same bitstream file and programmed by JTAG and the Done line goes high. Is there a way in JTAG that you can look at the Register to verify how many Word (32-bit) left before Done line goes high? Is the Bit Generator caused the file not to program? Can the design caused the Done not to go high? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

回复: Program Kintex-7 160T

Jump to solution
FPGA needs some padding before the sync word. So you can add some more FFFFFFF to make it multiple of 4 bytes. Anyhow FPGA ignores any data before the sync word.

Thanks
Harshit
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
6 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

1. Expected. All Xilinx FPGAs, after you send out all the 'valid' config data into FPGA, DONE would pull up high at startup phase 4 by default, but FPGA still need some extra clock cycles to initialize itself. Usually, send out the complete bitstream will finish this work. Open it in UE, you can see FFs or 20 00s at the end of file, these are for the 'extra' cycles.

2. The second bitsteam does not have byte swap, this is the most possible reason. Check UG470 for 'bit or byte swap' for more details.

If not, read out the Device Status reg and let us help you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Participant

Jump to solution
@iguo

Thanks for your reply.

I don't think it's the "bit or byte swap" issue. I have the programming logic that take care of the "byte and bit swap" which program successfully for the 1st bitstream. I use that same logic to program second bitstream and it's not working.

I think the bitstream file size is the issue and that's why I can't program second bitstream design. I'm programming FPGA2 with the slave Select Map x32 setup. Which means I write 32-bit or 4 bytes at a time. The bit file size is not fix. The file size changes depend on the design size, it doesn't change that dramatically. The first bit file size is 6,692,684 bytes which is multiple of 4 bytes and I was able to program successfully. The second bit file size is 6,692,682 and third bit file is 6,692,283 bytes. These two files I wasn't able to program since it's not multiple of 4 bytes. I have tried to put all 0s or Fs on other byte to make it equal to 4 bytes and it still not working. I'd see end of file words 00 20 00 00. Any suggestions how I can handle this bit file size issue?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Can you try to use bin file(atleast header would be out) and add a padding before the sync word. Where you have added those 0's or 1's? 

Refer to the below snapshot, try before sync word.

Capture.JPG 

Thanks

Harshit 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant

Jump to solution

@harshit

Rather start out programming with everything (include headers,sync word), can you just start out with Sync Word? or FPGA needs some headers before Sync Wordz?. If we start out with Sync Word first to the end of the file, then the file size is equal to multiple of 4 bytes. I added 0's or 1's at the end of the file. 

Thanks,

0 Kudos

Jump to solution
FPGA needs some padding before the sync word. So you can add some more FFFFFFF to make it multiple of 4 bytes. Anyhow FPGA ignores any data before the sync word.

Thanks
Harshit
Participant

Jump to solution

@harshit 

From the sync word, I have to go back to where all FF's begin and it's working.  Like you said before, using BIN file will fix this issue as well since BIN file is fixed. Thank very much for your help.