cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Programming from an 84 to 100 pin chip

Previously I used an XC9572-pcc84.  That is now obsolete so the new chip is XC9572xl-tqg100.  According to the specs and the way the board was routed all of the old cells are going to the new cells on the '100 chip.  The problem is I keep getting errors that it's trying to write to an invalid location.  Like this--

Considering device XC9572XL-10-TQ100.

ERROR:Cpld:832 - 'sol' is assigned to an invalid location ('PIN21') for this

device.  This will prevent the design from fitting on the current device.

'sol' must be reassigned before attempting a re-fit.

ERROR:Cpld:832 - 'holding' is assigned to an invalid location ('PIN19') for this

device.  This will prevent the design from fitting on the current device.

'holding' must be reassigned before attempting a re-fit.

There are 19 total.  Is this just a matter of doing some editing?  They should all be going to the same addresses.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The two parts seem not package compatible with each other. Did you check whether the two have same subset of pins? You need to check this one by one, not only by name but also by location. Otherwise, you need to regenerate the image file accoring to the new pin locations.

Besdies, make sure the hardware board take this change into account as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted

I did get it to work.  I had to edit my .ucf file.  The new board is wired to the correct pins, but with the switch from an 84 to 100 pin chip all of the cell locations changed pin numbers.  After I renumbered them it worked.

How do I edit the image file?  What software do I need?  I have ISE 12 currently.

0 Kudos