Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sanyalsc@ll
Visitor
Visitor

Programming multiple vc707 in parallel

Jump to solution

I've searched around online and haven't found any great answers to this:

I have some vc707 boards as part of a large system controlled by a GUI written in python.  As part of the operation of the system, the GUI calls the xsct batch file and runs a quick tcl script to initiate them (all boards use the same .elf and .bit files).  I had the system working fine with a single vc707 board, but expanding to multiple ones is giving me some trouble.  The old tcl script is as such, and worked just fine:

connect hw_server TCP:127.0.0.1:3121
fpga bit_file.bit
targets 3
loadhw system.hdf
stop
dow elf_file.elf
con -block

My main issue is that I can't seem to see multiple boards with the hw server.  If I launch the xcst tool manually and tell it to list targets, I only get one board.  If I launch the hardware manager in Vivado, I can only see one board as well.  Each unit is working; I can manually program all the boards by physically plugging/unplugging jtag connectors and going one by one, but this isn't a workable final solution.  In the documentation for xcst, I see that the targets command has an option for jtag index, which would suggest that I could program the boards in series, but I haven't been able to figure that out either.

What I'd really like to do eventually is program all of the boards in parallel - any suggestions on how to do that are more than welcome - but for now I'm focusing on getting anything up and running, even in series.

Does anyone have any ideas why I can't seem to locate multiple boards?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sanyalsc@ll
Visitor
Visitor

I am using 2016.1

I wanted to update this thread in case anyone else runs into this; I've managed to get everything working fine.  The problem was that the hardware server didn't like the Xilinx University program cables made by Digilent.  For whatever reason, using "jtag targets" in the xcst tool only returned one programming cable every time that I ran it.  With different programming cables, I can now see multiple jtag targets and am able to program them.  Might be a serial nunber issue; it seems that this is how the tool differentiates between different jtag cables.

Thanks for the reply!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kkn

which version of the vivado tool you are using? 

if you havent tried in 2018.1 version, can you try with that?

0 Kudos
sanyalsc@ll
Visitor
Visitor

I am using 2016.1

I wanted to update this thread in case anyone else runs into this; I've managed to get everything working fine.  The problem was that the hardware server didn't like the Xilinx University program cables made by Digilent.  For whatever reason, using "jtag targets" in the xcst tool only returned one programming cable every time that I ran it.  With different programming cables, I can now see multiple jtag targets and am able to program them.  Might be a serial nunber issue; it seems that this is how the tool differentiates between different jtag cables.

Thanks for the reply!

View solution in original post

kkn

yes, its a serial number issue. If the serial numbers are same for the cables then only one cable will be detected and used for the target

0 Kudos