Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

QSPI BPI using EMCCLK

It is 2020, re-quote it is 2020!!

In the following question, i will like to summarize all the possible headache questions from of previous posts.

Using EMCCLK for what purpose? - Speed up the flash time.

How to setup? - Using the XDC constrains.

Right it looks very simple. However not really.

Read all the datasheet as much as you like.

It makes not different with or without the EMCCLK connected to the FPGA.

In the following case, i will use the Kintex 7 as a common and good example.

The development boards i am using is Kintex 7 FFG676 and FFG900.

Case A:

Conenct emcclk with 50MHz OSC. setting the emcclk to en with XDC, using JTAG 30MHz programmer.

Internal oscillator QSPI MT25Q256 max 133MHz, 51s programming time with erase and flash in.

Emcclk  QSPI MT25Q256 max 133MHz, 51s programming time with erase and flash in.

Case B:

BPI internal oscillator 37s programming time with erase and flash in.

BPI emcclk 37s programming time with erase and flash in.

So why and why do we need to add OSC to emcclk?

Any thing i am doing wrong? Why i see post that user are posting with such problem but no solution at all?

I hope this post settle all other once for all.

Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

0 Kudos
Highlighted

EMCCLK usage comes in when you want to boot up the device at a faster rate.
By default internal oscillator or CCLK has +/- 50% tolerance. An external clock is supplied on this input and the FPGA configuration controller switches over to use this clock instead of the CCLK (internal configuration clock) after the EMCCLK command is read from the bitstream header. The EMCCLK enables more predictable configuration times because the clock tolerance is determined by the external oscillator selected.

As you pointed out in above post link that this frequency option won't help in reducing the time to program the flash. Refer to for more details https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp587-bpi-fast-configuration.pdf
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Right! With all the responses from the web and headaches that previous developer had go through. How do we see it wont reduce the programming time from the documents?

I assume not highlighting means not a feature which leads to wont contributing. AKA it will not reduce the programming time but only the redo timing.

I highly understand the document goals are to reduce load time to achieve PCIe initial timing or other RTOS requirements.

However, where and which page(s) or line(s) told us it only affecting the load time but not the programming time?

That the problem i am trying to point out (Of cause i may misreading some important infos.

Please tell us from BPI and SPI doucments.

0 Kudos