UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Voyager
Voyager

Readback Command Sequence in UG470: typo or error

Hello,

In UG470 at p. 135...137  we can find the sequence dedicated to read configuration memory.

Here is screenshot of p. 136

UG470_Readback_Command_Sequence.jpg

The first part of step 5 (inside red frame) moves TAP state machine to RTI state and remains there for 12 TCK cycles.

According to my calculations TAP state machine won't go to RTI state: given that before execution of the "red frame" sequence, the TAP state machine is in the state Exit1-IR, applying 12 pulses TCK and keeping TMS to '0' will jam the state machine in the state Pause-IR, isn't it ?

Any comments.

Tanks.

P.S. Diagramme of TAP state machine

JTAG_state_machine.JPG

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Readback Command Sequence in UG470: typo or error

Hi @pavel_47

I have checked Virtex-5, Virtex-6, 7-series and Ultrascale configuration guides; I do not see any change in state "Move into the RTI state; remain there for 12 TCK cycle" after state "Shift the MSB of the JSHUTDOWN instruction while exiting SHIFT-IR".

Regards,
Bhushan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Re: Readback Command Sequence in UG470: typo or error

Hello Bhushan,

Thanks for feedback.

I have checked Virtex-5, Virtex-6, 7-series and Ultrascale configuration guides; I do not see any change in state "Move into the RTI state; remain there for 12 TCK cycle" after state "Shift the MSB of the JSHUTDOWN instruction while exiting SHIFT-IR".

Probably each of these documents contain errors. Did you check this sequence on whatever board ?

If we have a look at TAP diagramme, we can figure out that the step 4 is executed as follows:

• The first 5 bits of JSHUTDOWN instruction are shifted when the TAP state machine is in the state SHIFT-IR
  • When the last bit of the JSHUTDOWN instruction is shifted, the TAP state machine moves into EXIT1-IR state
  • So, before applying 12 TCK cycles, the TAP state machine is in EXIT1-IR state, isn't it ?
  • If you agree with my at this point, I affirme that applying of 12 TCK when is TAP state machine is in EXIT1-IR state and TMS = 0 will drive state machine in PAUSE-IR state (not in RTI state as UG470 affirms !!!)

Sincerely,

Pavel

0 Kudos