Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Reboot Zynq7020 with JTAG (SmartLynq)

Jump to solution

Hi, 

I am using the Zynq7020 on board the Red Pitaya, which is connected to SmartLynq JTAG programmer and connected to an Ubuntu workstation running Vivado, fully remotely over the Internet. I was wondering how I could do a full reset of the RP/Zynq device using JTAG commands in Vivado, as the PL and the PS has stopped responding completely. This has happened a few times and I hope that it will not pemeantly damage it as I'll have to leave it on overnight. I have had a browse on the net and had a fiddle with the vivado device options, it does say it is connected and gets to 98% when loading a bitstream, but reports the final status as 0 and hence fails. it also seems to be reading some values from the device not sure if they are accurate though. The PS becoming unresponsive leads me to believe that I dont just need to reset the PL and that a full SoC reboot would likely fix the problem. Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated as it would give me peace of mind if this happens again! 

Best Regards, Jay

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Reboot Zynq7020 with JTAG (SmartLynq)

Jump to solution

Hi @jarez95,

Unfortunately, there's no way to issue a hard reset (equivalent to power off and on) from the SmartLynq cable or from any other cable.

That kind of reset requires an electrical pulse into the PROGRAM_B physical pin.

The SmartLynq does have the GPIO pins that you could use for that and it would allow you to remotely issue a TCL  command to toggle one of the GPIO pins to 1 or 0. Although, you would still need a physical wire connecting the SmartLynq GPIO pin to the FPGA PROGRAM_B pin. I understand that you currently do not have that connection, so it won't be possible at the time.

I can suggest that you connect (or have someone who has physical access to the board) to perform that connection so you can remotely reset it next time you have this issue.

More information on the SmartLynq GPIO pins and how to control them via TCL is available in the document SmartLynq Data Cable User Guide - UG1258, pg. 18.

Thank you,

Andre Guerrero

Product Applications Engineer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi @jarez95,

Unfortunately, there's no way to issue a hard reset (equivalent to power off and on) from the SmartLynq cable or from any other cable.

That kind of reset requires an electrical pulse into the PROGRAM_B physical pin.

The SmartLynq does have the GPIO pins that you could use for that and it would allow you to remotely issue a TCL  command to toggle one of the GPIO pins to 1 or 0. Although, you would still need a physical wire connecting the SmartLynq GPIO pin to the FPGA PROGRAM_B pin. I understand that you currently do not have that connection, so it won't be possible at the time.

I can suggest that you connect (or have someone who has physical access to the board) to perform that connection so you can remotely reset it next time you have this issue.

More information on the SmartLynq GPIO pins and how to control them via TCL is available in the document SmartLynq Data Cable User Guide - UG1258, pg. 18.

Thank you,

Andre Guerrero

Product Applications Engineer

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi, 

Thanks for taking the time to appreciate the question, after about 15-20 mins it became responsive again, but there has been instances when this has not happened. This article shows exactly what you are mentioning: https://forum.redpitaya.com/viewtopic.php?t=390

If this persistently becomes a problem I will connect a GPIO to the reset of the device, but as of now it doesnt happen often enough for me to do so. 

Thanks Andre. 

0 Kudos