cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeffpuglis1

SPI flash device support for Ultrascale+ Devices

Currently we're planning on using the Zynq Ultrascale+, Virtex Ultrascale+ and Kintex Ultrascale+ in our design.

I'm looking into the trying to use the same configuration flash chip (or same family of flash chips) across all three but when I look at UG908.  I don't think we can use the same chips across the Kintex/Virtex as the Zynq.

What I need to know is:

1) are the lists in those users guides comprehensive?  Are we absolutely required to choose off those lists?

The difference between the Zynq and the Kintex/Virtex is that the Zynq Micron chips are 3.3V and the Kintex/Virtex are 1.8V (mt25ql vs mt25qu families). Are we able to use the 1.8V version with the Zynq FPGA? For example, in the charts the mt25qu02g versus the mt25qI02g?

Our goal would be to try to make them common across the designs or at least the same family.

Thank you.

Capture.JPG
0 Kudos
1 Reply
hpoetzl
Voyager
Voyager

Hey @jeffpuglis1,

I'm looking into the trying to use the same configuration flash chip ...

The main problem here is that SPI Flash chips which work with 1.8V and 3.3V are not that common (IIRC, Adesto has some SPI chips which cover the full voltage range).

But there are several solutions to this problem ...

• Run the Zynq configuration bank at 1.8V and choose a 1.8V SPI Flash
  • Use a level shifter between 3.3V and 1.8V
  • Test some of the more exotic SPI flash memories which can work at both voltages.

Are we absolutely required to choose off those lists?

I'd say no, but for those on the list, it can be guaranteed that they work as intended and you won't have too many problems with tools, etc.

Hope this helps,

Herbert

-------------- Yes, I do this for fun!
0 Kudos