UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPI flash programmed ok, but fpga will not configure unless i power cycle

I have a Spartan 6 and use a Micron N25Q128 SPI flash for configuration memory.  I am using Impact software and a Platform USB Cable Xilinx programmer.  I am able to program the flash with my .mcs file successfully, but then when it tries to load the fpga from the flash, done never goes high and I get a "program failed" message.  If I then power cycle the board, the fpga configures from the flash perfectly fine.  Has anyone experienced this before?  I have tried with the SPI flash in 1x and 4x modes, and get the same problem.  I would like to be able to program the flash and have it then load the fpga without power cycling.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: SPI flash programmed ok, but fpga will not configure unless i power cycle

check board jumper settings
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos

I have M0 pulled down and M1 pulled high. If it configures from the flash successfully upon power up, then doesn't that mean that the jumpers are set correctly?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

when its failing than i didn't got you . In case programing fail with direct JTAG configuration . send me the log file . In my understanding You need to power cycle for configuration with flash
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
0 Kudos
Scholar pratham
Scholar

@ramano_alstom Can you try reprogramming without verify option selected in impact and see if that is making any difference? It seems from your post that message says programming failed in impact but its actually getting programmed. Please attach impact log 

-Pratham

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

check this master ARs on device configuration
http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/34904.html

this document may useful for you
http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2014_1/ug908-vivado-programming-debugging.pdf
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

check these ARs there are few known issue with spartan-6 device
http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/52567.html
http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/41877.html
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
0 Kudos

Hi Ramano,

check if the option "automatically load fpga with flash contents is enabled"

Could you attach the impact log file here?

In case you are using 14.7 impact, could you try with 13.4/14.1 impact tool and see if that makes any difference

https://secure.xilinx.com/webreg/register.do?group=dlc&htmlfile=&emailFile=&cancellink=&eFrom=&eSubject=&version=14.1&akdm=1&filename=Xilinx_LabTools_14.1_P.15xf.0.1.tar

load.jpg
0 Kudos

I tried running with verification turned off, and it still had the same problem.

So I turned it back on and ran it again, here is the log:

INFO:iMPACT - Current time: 8/25/2016 3:36:53 AM
PROGRESS_START - Starting Operation.
Maximum TCK operating frequency for this device chain: 25000000.
Validating chain...
Boundary-scan chain validated successfully.
'1': SPI access core not detected. SPI access core will be downloaded to the device to enable operations.
INFO:iMPACT - Downloading core file C:/Xilinx/14.7/ISE_DS/ISE/spartan6/data/xc6slx100_spi.cor.
'1': Downloading core...
 LCK_cycle = NoWait.
LCK cycle: NoWait
done.
'1': Reading status register contents...
INFO:iMPACT:2219 - Status register values:
INFO:iMPACT - 0011 1100 1110 1100
INFO:iMPACT:2492 - '1': Completed downloading core to device.
'1': IDCODE is '20ba18' (in hex).
'1': ID Check passed.
 '1': IDCODE is '20ba18' (in hex).
'1': ID Check passed.
 '1': Erasing Device.
'1': Using Sector Erase.
'1': Programming Flash.
'1': Reading device contents...
done.
'1': Verification completed.
'1':Programming in x4 mode.
'1': Configuration data download to FPGA was not successful. DONE did not go high, please check your configuration setup and mode settings.
INFO:iMPACT - '1': Flash was not programmed successfully.
PROGRESS_END - End Operation.
Elapsed time =    566 sec.

0 Kudos

when the above operation was complete, my done led doesn't turn on and my design doesn't come up.  I then cycle power, and the fpga comes up and done led is on within 1-2 seconds.

by the way, I only have just 1 Xilinx device, and I do have the "automatically load fpga with flash contents" selected (actually, that's the only option I have since I didn't assign a bit file to the fpga)

0 Kudos

ok I tried version 14.1 that you sent me, and I get the same problem..

0 Kudos