UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor neethu_21
Visitor

Spartan 6 Custom Board SPI Flash not detected and unable to program(indirect ) using iMPACT

Hi All,

I am new to FPGA development. A custom board is designed and fabricated using Spartan 6 LX25.

I am able to program the Chip (LX25) using JTAG  successfully. A SPI Flash (W25Q64JV) has been added for configuration storage.

I have tried programming the Flash using iMPACT version 14.4 but unable to program it and message I got is given below.

(I did not receive any error message at all, It just displays Flash is not programmed)

PROGRESS_START - Starting Operation.
'1': SPI access core not detected. SPI access core will be downloaded to the device to enable operations.
INFO:iMPACT - Downloading core file C:/Xilinx/14.4/ISE_DS/ISE/spartan6/data/xc6slx25_spi.cor.
'1': Downloading core...
LCK_cycle = NoWait.
LCK cycle: NoWait
done.
'1': Reading status register contents...
INFO:iMPACT:2219 - Status register values:
INFO:iMPACT - 0010 0100 0100 1000
INFO:iMPACT:2492 - '1': Completed downloading core to device.
INFO:iMPACT - '1': Flash was not programmed successfully.
PROGRESS_END - End Operation.

I have attached the schematics for reference.

Please throw some light on this issue.

Thanking You,

Neethu

schmatics_1.png
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

回复: Spartan 6 Custom Board SPI Flash not detected and unable to program(indirect ) using iMPACT

Hi neethu_21,

You can use a oscilloscope to check the waveform when FPGA try to program the Flash. Make sure connect the probe at the Flash pins to check the connectivity for these signals.

BTW, the flash type is not W25Q64JV in the schematic, make sure selecting the correct flash in the imapct.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor neethu_21
Visitor

回复: Spartan 6 Custom Board SPI Flash not detected and unable to program(indirect ) using iMPACT

Thank you for the prompt reply. I will check the signals soon.

I just want to add some more points here I have used a SOIC to DIP IC base for  placing the Flash on board and I used W25Q64JV.

In iMPACT drop down list W25Q64JV is not listed and I set Environment variable XIL_IMPACT_SKIPIDCODECHECK in my PC and used Flash P/N as W25Q64FV  as many of the Flash  part numbers listed in the iMPACT are obselete.

I have checked the Flash IC separately (using the embedded board ) and I am able to communicate and erase contents of the W25Q64JV.

This is for your information please.

Thanking You,

Neethu

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

As you said if the flash on the board is not in the list, Xilinx cannot guarantee impact can program it successfully, even you skip the ID check.

Another suggestion, if you use a SOIC to DIP convener, you can try to download the CCLK frequency in case the SI issue for programming.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor neethu_21
Visitor

Please find the attached waveforms  SCK(Green) and CS (Pink) Colour obtained after releasing INIT_B button.

As Flash is empty No data on SDI and SDO pins.

Frequency of clock is observed as 900.90 KHz.

Please advise whether this issue will get resolved after using Flash PN listed in the iMPACT software.

Best Regards,

Neethu

scope_0.png
scope_1.png
scope_2.png
scope_3.png
0 Kudos
Visitor neethu_21
Visitor

Hello All,

Can anyone throw some light on this issue.

I am getting the same message when I place the IC(serial flash ) on board and with out serial flash placed on board.

As if the presence of Serial Flash IC is not identified.

What could be the reason ? FPGA is programmed with JTAG  where as indirect programming of serial Flash is failed.

Unable to proceed further due to this issue!!! what are the quick work arounds!!!

Expecting the reply at the earliest,

Best Regards,

Neethu

0 Kudos
Visitor neethu_21
Visitor

IMPACT Log File attached....

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @neethu_21

As per Xilinx supported flash list provided at  https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_7/pim_r_supported_spi_bpi_proms.htm

SPI Flash (W25Q64JV)  is not officially supported by Xilinx.

You can also test non supported SPI PROM using skip ID Test (Note: This method is not officially supported.)

For e.g. "W25Q64JV" compatible with "W25Q64BV" seems to have the command set together. It is possible to avoid ID check by setting environment variable XIL_IMPACT_SKIPIDCODECHECK

After adding environment variable XIL_IMPACT_SKIPIDCODECHECK, You need to select W25Q64BV for programming W25Q64JV in impact 14.7 programming tool.

Check https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Virtex-Family-FPGAs/SPI-NOR-FLASH-MT25Q-not-listed-in-Impact-14-7/m-p/800669#M26018 for more details.

Regards,

Bhushan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,
Bhushan

0 Kudos