Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iisbaer
Participant
Participant

Support for Cypress/Spansion flash family FL-L

Jump to solution

Hi,

We need to replace a few of our FL1-K flashes due to EOL. The recommended replacement parts are from the FL-L family. But UG908 doesn't list any part of this family. I think we will be able to use this flash to boot but will be unable to program it with Vivado. Is this correct? Are there any plans to support this family? Or a workaround in Vivado?

Regards,

Christian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Christian,

Xilinx has qualified FL064L and the Vivado release in Oct. (2017.3) will have it as a supported device. 

Even if you are using an older version of Vivado, you should be able to program the FL-L device, as long as you treat it the same way as the old FL1-K device.

Thanks,

Zhi

Zhi Feng
Customer Applications, Cypress Semiconductor Corp.
Phone: 512-934-5735 | Email: zhi.feng@cypress.com

View solution in original post

11 Replies
austin
Scholar
Scholar

c,

Talk to your Xilinx distributor.  We work closely with them, so they would know the answer before it appears in print.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Christian,

Xilinx has qualified FL064L and the Vivado release in Oct. (2017.3) will have it as a supported device. 

Even if you are using an older version of Vivado, you should be able to program the FL-L device, as long as you treat it the same way as the old FL1-K device.

Thanks,

Zhi

Zhi Feng
Phone: 512-934-5735 | Email: zhi.feng@cypress.com

View solution in original post

iisbaer
Participant
Participant

Hi Zhi,

Great to hear. We planned to use the FL064L, so that's perfect.

But I think using an older version of Vivado won't work because Vivado checks the IDs of the flash and stops programming if they don't match.

Regards,

Christian

0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

Please refer to the following Knowledge Base Article which describes a temporary solution before the next release:

https://community.cypress.com/docs/DOC-13646

Best regards,

Bacem

----

Bacem Daassi

0 Kudos
david.bleakley
Observer
Observer

I have a Kintex Ultrascale and a Kintex Ultrascale+

I see that S25FL256L is also not on the supported list.

Am I right in thinking that it should still work and that the following applies to them:

https://community.cypress.com/docs/DOC-13646

flundstrom
Visitor
Visitor

I have the same question about the same part as David.

Can someone confirm that they have the S25FL256L part working or that Xilinx supports it?

Thanks

0 Kudos
weberluo
Observer
Observer

Same question here as David's. Need to use S25FL256L. Currently using 7-series (7A and 7K) and moving to Ultrascale+.

0 Kudos
david.bleakley
Observer
Observer

We fitted one to a pcb and had signs of life from it.

I understand that it was writing, but not reading a custom header correctly.

The engineer working on it is no longer available, so development is on hold.

I will report status if we make further progress.

0 Kudos
weberluo
Observer
Observer

Just add some updates:

S25FL256L is working with XC7A50T and XC7K160T in our applications. Both are able to program the flash via Vivado with USB JTAG cable using our own developed bridge image loaded into FPGA first.

The mechanism is similar to XAPP1191. The demo codes in XAPP1191 MUST be modified though since it's demo for KU/KU+ chips. For 7-series the STARTUPE2 can only pass clk to output pin. Other FSB, Q0 and Q1 must be driven by logic fabric.

And secondly S25FL256L does't work in QUAD mode by default. Additional commands need to be added in the programming sequence to enable the quad mode of the flash so that quad page program is doable, and more importantly enables the FPGA configuration in SPIx4 mode at power up.

0 Kudos
thecher911
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @weberluo 

Could you give more information on what commands you added and where exactly you added them?

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
sanjivgarg1
Observer
Observer

we are in the same boat. We want to use the built-in QuadSPI on the PS side to access this device S25FL256L .

Can someone post the commands to do that.

0 Kudos