UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar embedded
Scholar

Two Jtag Programmers within a PC

Hi all,

I am going to debug two boards with USB Jtag programmers connected to them. I am using Vivado 2016.3. Till now I can only see one Jtag cable not both of them. Is there a way that I can see both cables in Vivado. I am running two projects with two instances of Vivao. however, I can not reach to one each of them in every Vivado.

Thanks,

Hossein

0 Kudos
12 Replies

Re: Two Jtag Programmers within a PC

You could connect them in a daisy chain on the one cable. You would need a platform usb and fly leads

0 Kudos
Scholar embedded
Scholar

It is not possible. two boards are distant.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Hossein,

From this thread:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Configuration/Multiple-Digilent-USB-programmer-cables-not-working-under-Vivado/td-p/538703

I assume it should work.

There's also an Answer Record of how it's handled in SDK:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/64252.html

I'll give it a try and let you know what I find.

Thanks,

Andres

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

回复: Two Jtag Programmers within a PC

I ran similar test before. Vivado can handle two cables(boards). Though only one is active but you can choose which one to work.

Try to connect only one cable/board first, and check if there is any issue. If either of them can work, Vivado could identify the two.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Scholar embedded
Scholar

回复: Two Jtag Programmers within a PC

@iguo

No, you are wrong. They won't be identifiable. I don't see why some of you guys - moderators I mean - coming back to us with very very useless answers. Just getting kudos as you mentioned in your signature. Right? 

0 Kudos
Scholar embedded
Scholar

Hi @andresb,

Thank you for your comment. But, it is not similar to the Digilent cable. Yesterday we tried so many things. We even used Vivado Hardware Server on another computer and tried to connect to it remotely. But, it failed and we couldn't connect to it.

I would appreciate any help,

Hossein

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi embedded,

I just tried it on my computer and it works. I connected a DLC9 and a DLC10 to 2 different boards and this is what it looks like:

two platform cables 2.PNG

As @iguo mentioned, each instance of Vivado has one cable Open and one Closed.

When you Open target in Hardware Manager, doesn't it let you choose from 2 cables like below?

Open target 1.pngOpen target 2.png

Thanks,
Andres

Explorer
Explorer

I've used two adapters at the same time on VC707/709 (Digilent) and they do both show up in the Vivado UI, but only one can be active at a time. So for example it seems not possible to have two ILA sessions on 2 cables in the same Vivado session.
0 Kudos
Scholar embedded
Scholar

Hi Andres,

Thank you for your answer. Would you please guide me what I should do for below case? I have to say that I have two USB Platform Cables from Xilinx not any other devices from Digilent.

I want to open two instances of Vivado and use these two Jtag programmers. I want to connect to each of two boards and program or debug them from these instances of Vivado. My experience was that only one of them was identifiable by Vivados. Is there any way for this problem?

Thanks,

Hossein

0 Kudos
Scholar embedded
Scholar

Hi,
I couldn't see those two cables. Just one of them.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

That was my experience as well - couldn't make two Vivados work on two JTAG cables. Considering that many developers use multiple platforms at the same time (e.g., for SoC FPGA prototyping) this would appear to be a major drawback. It usually isn't physically feasable to daisy-chain JTAG over those kind of distances as it quickly runs into SI issues and becomes unreliable.

As ugly as it is, maybe your near term solution is to use two PCs.

Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Hossein,

When you open the first instance of Vivado: are you able to select one of 2 cables when you Open a New Target (as shown in my picture above)?

Thanks,

Andres

0 Kudos