Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

USB Cable Driver Installation Xilinx ISE 14.7 Windows 7

Hi all,

I am aware that this is a well discussed topic, but I couldn't find a working solution in the existing threads so far.
I installed Xilinx ISE 14.7 on a Windows 7 32 bit system. (The hardware indeed is 32 bit. The FPGA board is a KC705).

However whenever I'm running "Initialize Chain" or "Cable Auto Connect" in ISE iMPACT, I get the following messages:

GUI --- Auto connect to cable...
AutoDetecting cable. Please wait.
*** WARNING ***: When port is set to auto detect mode, cable speed is set to default 6 MHz regardless of explicit arguments supplied for setting the baud rates
PROGRESS_START - Starting Operation.
Connecting to cable (Usb Port - USB21).
Checking cable driver.
 Source driver files not found.
The Platform Cable USB is not detected. Please connect a cable.If a cable is connected, please disconnect
and reconnect to the usb port, follow the instructions in the 'Found New Hardware Wizard', then retry
the Cable Setup operation.
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT1).
Checking cable driver.
 Driver windrvr6.sys version = 10.2.1.0. WinDriver v10.21 Jungo (c) 1997 - 2010 Build Date: Aug 31 2010 X86 32bit SYS 14:35:41, version = 1021.
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT2).
Checking cable driver.
 Driver windrvr6.sys version = 10.2.1.0. WinDriver v10.21 Jungo (c) 1997 - 2010 Build Date: Aug 31 2010 X86 32bit SYS 14:35:41, version = 1021.
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT3).
Checking cable driver.
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT4).
Checking cable driver.
Cable connection failed.
PROGRESS_END - End Operation.
Elapsed time =      1 sec.
Cable autodetection failed.
WARNING:iMPACT:923 - Can not find cable, check cable setup !

Plugging off/on the cable does not help obviously. I also tried rebooting..(The board & cables work on another laptop with the 64bit Version of Windows 7 and the same ISE Version (but 64bit))
On both the working 64bit as well as the not working 32bit system I see Jungo / WinDriver, "USB Serial Converter A" and "USB Serial Converter B" in the device manager.

According to UG344 Step 5, I have to download the ug344_windows.zip file. I did that and running the install_xusb.bat as an administrator leads to an error. It tells that wdreg couldn't be found.

So I did the installation manually according to https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Xilinx-Boards-and-Kits/Problem-installing-Platform-Cable-USB-DLC9G-driver/td-p/454272/page/2:
-) wdreg -inf uninstall.inf -silent -log uninstall.log uninstall
-) wdreg -inf xusbdrvr.inf -log install_xusb.log install

According to the log file the first command could not find uninstall.inf. (Is that bad? How to fix it?)
Installing xusbdrvr.inf leads to the following log file, which looks okay, I guess!?

WDREG utility v10.21. Build Aug 31 2010 14:42:01
Log from Sat Aug 05 00:44:52 2017

Command line: wdreg -inf xusbdrvr.inf -log install_xusb.log install

Processing HWID USB\VID_03FD&PID_0008
Installing a signed driver package for USB\VID_03FD&PID_0008
Device node (hwid:USB\VID_03FD&PID_0008): does not exist and is not configured. Pre-installing.
LOG ok: 1, ENTER:  DriverPackagePreinstallA
LOG ok: 1, ENTER:  DriverPackagePreinstallW
LOG ok: 1, Driver package is already preinstalled 'C:\Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt\xusbdrvr.inf'.
LOG ok: 0, C:\Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt\xusbdrvr.inf is preinstalled.
LOG ok: 1, RETURN: DriverPackagePreinstallW  (0xB7)
LOG ok: 1, RETURN: DriverPackagePreinstallA  (0xB7)
 difx_install_preinstall_inf: err b7, last event 0, last error 0. ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS

Processing HWID USB\VID_03FD&PID_0007
Installing a signed driver package for USB\VID_03FD&PID_0007
Device node (hwid:USB\VID_03FD&PID_0007): does not exist and is not configured. Pre-installing.

Processing HWID USB\VID_03FD&PID_0009
Installing a signed driver package for USB\VID_03FD&PID_0009
Device node (hwid:USB\VID_03FD&PID_0009): does not exist and is not configured. Pre-installing.

Processing HWID USB\VID_03FD&PID_000D
Installing a signed driver package for USB\VID_03FD&PID_000D
Device node (hwid:USB\VID_03FD&PID_000D): does not exist and is not configured. Pre-installing.

Processing HWID USB\VID_03FD&PID_000F
Installing a signed driver package for USB\VID_03FD&PID_000F
Device node (hwid:USB\VID_03FD&PID_000F): does not exist and is not configured. Pre-installing.

Processing HWID USB\VID_03FD&PID_0013
Installing a signed driver package for USB\VID_03FD&PID_0013
Device node (hwid:USB\VID_03FD&PID_0013): does not exist and is not configured. Pre-installing.

Processing HWID USB\VID_03FD&PID_0015
Installing a signed driver package for USB\VID_03FD&PID_0015
Device node (hwid:USB\VID_03FD&PID_0015): does not exist and is not configured. Pre-installing.
install: completed successfully
STATUS_SUCCESS

However it didn't change anything about iMPACT.

Another idea from https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/44397.html was to install windrvr6.inf:
wdreg -infC:\Xilinx\<version>\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt\windrvr6.inf install

That completed successfully, however the problem remains.

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Development-Tools/Xilinx-Cable-Driver-problem/m-p/753634#M41332 suggests some windrvr6 versions work better than others. I have the version that he suggests on both laptops (10.21). So this shouldn't be the problem.

Any ideas on this?
Thanks, asteric

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: USB Cable Driver Installation Xilinx ISE 14.7 Windows 7

Hi,

I see you already follow the right topics and guidelines. Just one note:
Make sure all the operations you take are for a 32-bit OS. E.g. when you check the drivers, you should look up folder C:\Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt instead of C:\Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt64.
When you run the commands in Command Prompt, you should open the "ISE Design suit 32 bit command prompt".

I suggest you completely uninstall the Cable drivers with xsetup.exe, and then restart your computer, and then reinstall again.

Another 'informal' answer, do you have a working 32-bit iMPACT on any other computers? If so, you can check all the .sys files in the C:\Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt folder, if you miss any of them after installation, copy it to your folder, then restart iMPACT or PC. In the old ISE era, this did help some customers.

Thanks,
Ivy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hi Ivy,

thanks a lot for your reply.
I did pay attention to installing 32bit components only.

How to uninstall the cable drivers using xsetup.exe? Performing again the ISE installation with cable drivers unchecked? Will this really uninstall them or just not reinstall them, as they are installed already?

That's a good idea, I checked with a working 32bit installation, but the list of *.sys files in the specified directory is identical.

Thanks,
asteric

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

My fault, I remember there was a version allowing you to install standalone cable drivers but this is not available with 14.7.
My suggestion is to completely uninstall all the cable drivers on the PC and then reinstall them again. Anyhow there is not a direct way to do this. You mentioned the "wdreg -inf uninstall.inf " cannot work?

Besides, which cable are you using?
One more note, unplug all cables during installation; and when you first plug the cable into PC, wait until the system/iMPACT tells you everything is OK.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos