UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor zaxis
Visitor

USB Jtag cable drivers

Hi all, I did a cursory search through the forum, but I mostly saw questions concerning other things about JTAG. I hope my search was thorough enough...

I was wondering if anyone knows where to get USB JTAG cable drivers for Windows Vista and Windows 7 machines. The board I am using is the Virtex 6 ML605 xc6vlx240t ff1156.

I've been trying this for days to no avail. Some documents provided by Xilinx say that the drivers should be on the USB Drive provided with the FPGA in a folder called "Drivers_and_tools", but there isn't one on mine. Also, I've noticed that the proper drivers can be installed automatically for Windows XP machines, but not for anything newer... (It isn't an option for me to just use Windows XP)

I would really appreciate any help you guys have on the matter. I'd like to get going on interesting things instead of sitting here looking for drivers and testing stuff out... Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: USB Jtag cable drivers

USB cable suports Windows Vista now. Please follow the guidelines in

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug344.pdf -> For Windows Vista

to install the cable drivers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The JTAG cable driver is installed with the IDS installation. I installed IDS 12.3 on a Window 7 64-bit machine recently. When I plugged the JTAG USB cable into the machine, the driver was automatically installed by the OS.

The driver included with ML605 archive is for the USB to UART translation device.

@zaxis wrote:

Hi all, I did a cursory search through the forum, but I mostly saw questions concerning other things about JTAG. I hope my search was thorough enough...

I was wondering if anyone knows where to get USB JTAG cable drivers for Windows Vista and Windows 7 machines. The board I am using is the Virtex 6 ML605 xc6vlx240t ff1156.

I've been trying this for days to no avail. Some documents provided by Xilinx say that the drivers should be on the USB Drive provided with the FPGA in a folder called "Drivers_and_tools", but there isn't one on mine. Also, I've noticed that the proper drivers can be installed automatically for Windows XP machines, but not for anything newer... (It isn't an option for me to just use Windows XP)

I would really appreciate any help you guys have on the matter. I'd like to get going on interesting things instead of sitting here looking for drivers and testing stuff out... Thanks!

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos
Visitor zaxis
Visitor

Iguo, thanks. That user guide seems promising. I will try it and post about how it went as soon as I can.

Jimwu: It may not have occurred to you, but I have indeed installed ISE_DS 12.3 on a Windows 7 64-bit machine. To my utter surprise, the cable drivers were not detected for some reason. It is that reason for which I am searching. Also, I want to install USB JTAG driver, not the USB UART driver. It may be comforting for you to know that I have found the UART driver and am able to get that to work. I also stated in my post that the USB drive included with the FPGA does not have any drivers on it.

Thanks again for your attention.

0 Kudos
Visitor zaxis
Visitor

Okay, I'm currently trying the linux drivers. I got the file linked from the user guide and here's what I did:

tar xvzf install_drivers.zip

cd install_drivers

sudo ./install_drivers

I installed fxload because it told me that I needed it as a dependency the first time. No problems there.

When I ran the script using "sudo ./install_drivers" again, I get this as output:

--Driver versions in this package: windrvr=900, xpc4drvr=1041
--Script name = ./install_drivers
--HostName = SGRUB
--Current working dir = /home/gallows_callibrator/Downloads/install_drivers
--Script location = /home/gallows_callibrator/Downloads/install_drivers
--Kernel version = 2.6.35-22-generic.
--Arch = i686.
--Installer version = 1053
--Unsetting ARCH environment variable.
--User has root permission.
--File /lib/modules/misc/install_windrvr6 does not exist.
--Installing USB drivers------------------------------------------
--File /etc/hotplug/usb/xusbdfwu.fw/xusbdfwu.hex exists.
./setup_pcusb: 191: Bad substitution
--File /sbin/fxload exists.
--Installing windrvr6---------------------------------------------
--Checking version.
--File /lib/modules/2.6.35-22-generic/kernel/drivers/misc/windrvr6.ko does not exist.
--File LINUX.2.6.35-22-generic.i386/windrvr6.ko does not exist.
--Setting source version to 900.
--File LINUX.2.6.35-22-generic.i386/windrvr6.ko is newer than the destination file.
loading cache ./config.cache
./configure: 531: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
make: *** No rule to make target `clean'.  Stop.
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.
--make windrvr install rc= 2
--install_windrvr6 rc = 2
--Module windrvr6 is not running.
--Module xpc4drvr is not running.
--Note: By default, the file permission of /dev/windrvr6 is enabled for the root user only
  and must be changed to allow access to other users.

--Return code = 2

If you know what's wrong, that would be great! In the mean time, I'll search for information...

0 Kudos
Visitor zaxis
Visitor

Hmm.. I've tried ug344 for windows vista as well. I installed xusb drivers and it still failed... :(

0 Kudos
Visitor egg400
Visitor

Anyone got any solution to this problem? I've the same thing with my Spartan 3 board and USB JTAG Cable. And no the Ug344 doesn't work either on my Windows 7 64-bit.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/35924.htm

Check this out and see if this gets the cable to work on Win7

0 Kudos
Visitor egg400
Visitor

Thanks, but I've tried that link a couple of times with no success, also tried to reinstall the software both full and webpack a couple of times but non seems to work. The problem is that windows can't find a driver for the usb jtag cable even after all instalaltions that i've tried. Also tried to run the impact software with administrator privilegies and XP compatibility mode as somewhere was suggested but that didn't work either. Also tried the Virtual XP. If Anybody got some more suggestions I would be greatful?

0 Kudos
Visitor aridxx01
Visitor

Hello,

I am "new" to programming FPGA's as well (its been awhile). I found myself in the same boat as you, unable to get ISE to detect the "cable" of my Xilinx Spartan -6 FPGA LX9 Microboard. It is a USB/JTag connection. I was able to solve the problem by going to http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,66,768&Prod=DIGILENT-PLUGIN and downloading the software "Digilent Plugin for Xilinx Tools". Once I copied the files into the proper folders (per the directions) the Impact 'autocablefind" found my device immediately.

Hope this helps, good luck!

-Chris  

0 Kudos

Is there anything like this for ISE 10.1. I am working with a spartan 2.

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Is there anything like this for ISE 10.1. I am working with a spartan 2.

This question has nothing to do with Virtex parts (this thread is in the Virtex forum), it belongs in Design Tools - Others forum.

Please do not post unrelated questions or topics to existing threads.  You should start a new thread, instead.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Visitor skxo
Visitor

I am presently working on an mature XUPV2P board with virtex 2 pro. It is impossible to find the good drivers for jtag usb programming. I cannot load bitstream. Impact displays cable not found etc......

I am very dispappointed and any help will be appreciated. 

I am working on win7 64 bit and ISE 10.1 SP3. (I have tried to install ISE 32 bit version, still the same trouble).

If you have solution(s), please tell me.

Kind regards.

skxo

0 Kudos
Visitor semih96
Visitor

hi

ı have same usb cable driver problem 8 years later.

do you remember where did you copy "Digilent Plugin for Xilinx Tools" files.

thank you

0 Kudos