cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kc9kep
Visitor
Visitor

Ultra newbee seeking guidance to program a XC9536 with Xilinx Parallel Programmer in Windows XP

Hello, if someone can steer me in the right direction, I would be eternally grateful.

I have built a Z80 ICE

http://www.tauntek.com/z80-in-circuit-emulator.htm

I need to program the 5 Volt Xilinx XC9536 in order to complete my project.

I have the JED file, a Xilinx Parallel Port Programmer, and am running Windows XP (or even a DOS shell if need be.)

What I believe I need is a program that will open the JED file and program XC9536.

Is it possible?

Thank you so much for any help you can offer!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kc9kep
Visitor
Visitor

One more thing .. I have purchased a GQ-4X4 universal programmer.  It claims that it can program JTAG devices.

Could it be a simple as interfacing my XC9536 to the programmer,loading the JED file and programming it

with the GQ-4x4 programmer?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
u4223374
Advisor
Advisor

I think you just need Xilinx ISE Lab Tools, available on this page (the full ISE will also work, but it's a much larger download). You should just be able to open iMPACT, initialize the JTAG chain (which, if everything is connected properly, should detect the CPLD), then right-click on the CPLD to assign the JED file to it.

iMPACT will not work with non-Xilinx (or some Digilent) programmers. The universal one you've got might have its own software; you'll have to check whether that can talk to Xilinx CPLDs.

Edit: the universal one does claim to support the XC9536. Have you got a suitable adaptor to plug it in? If so, I'd try that first.

0 Kudos
kc9kep
Visitor
Visitor

u4223374,

Thank you for your reply!  I am totally overwhelmed by the amount of information and resource on the Xlinx site :-(

Yes, I have loaded iMpact 14.6 (It took a while to realize that iMpact is the programming tool and how to load a stand-alone

version of it .. Simple when you know how :-) )

My parallel port programmer is connected to the jtag connectors on my target board.

I can "see" my component.  I can verify the chain successfully.  The cable check utility reports a type III cable at LPT1.

Right now, I cannot erase or program the device.  I am receiving the following errors:

"failed '1';blank check terminated, invalid operation"

-and-

"failed '1':read back terminated, invalid operation"

iMpact's setup will not allow me to slow the clock frequency of the parallel cable.  I see no power supply glitches on my scope.

However, I see that the type III parallel cable is not supported by iMpact 14.6

I have ordered a "Waveshare Xilinx JTAG Download Debugger Compatible Xilinx Platform Cable USB .. "

from Amazon which should arrive today.  I sure hope I've ordered the correct device.

I only have one (1) XC9536 device that I'd like to program so I don't want to pay a lot for equipment :-)

Thanks again ..

0 Kudos
musovern

Hi there,

I have the same problem. I've just finished the Z80ICE and need to program the XC9536 did you ever resolve this.?

Regards

Vernon

0 Kudos
kkn

@musovern,

kindly open a new thread with the log files during programming of the CPLD with the error message and we can go from there to resolve the issue

--Krishna

0 Kudos