UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to program an SPI memory flash

When trying to program an ISSI flash part using Vivado 2018.3 hardware manager, I get the following error:

[Labtools 27-2251] Unable to read device properties. Please make sure that the proper configuration memory part is selected.

After scoping the communication lines, we found out that the FPGA sends the right clock signal (3MHz) and it activate CS signal (it goes to 0 since it is active low) but there is no communication activity on DQ0 or DQ1. Both signals read 0 volt. Attached is a scope screenshot (C1: CLK, C2: DQ0 and C3: CSbar). Not sure why the FPGA is NOT sending data and I could you some help here. Below is some info about my design:

FPGA: XC7S25-1CSGA225C

Flash: IS25LP016D-JKLE-TR

Configration voltage: 3.3V

Configration rate: 3MHz

Configration width: 4xSPI

And here is the XDC constraints related to the configration settings

set_property BITSTREAM.CONFIG.CONFIGRATE 3 [current_design]
set_property CONFIG_VOLTAGE 3.3 [current_design]
set_property CFGBVS VCCO [current_design]
set_property BITSTREAM.CONFIG.SPI_BUSWIDTH 4 [current_design]
set_property CONFIG_MODE SPIx4 [current_design] 

ISSI Flash Issue.jpg
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

回复: Unable to program an SPI memory flash

Hi,

1. Did you correctly select  IS25LP016D in GUI?

2. Is there any other warning issued during the programming process?

3. What if you generate a x1 file and try to program it? Please check if this is successful.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Observer nwillard
Observer

I've been helping debug this issue.
1) Correct device is selected
2) No other warning detected. When the program_hw_cfgmem command is issued, the data returned is all 0's for Mfg Id, Mem Type, Mem Capacity, Device ID 1/2,
3) We tried x1 without success
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Then try to erase the flash, does same error message occur? If so, check the schematic first and see if there is some wrong connection between FPGA and SPI.

You can use this vivado and cable to download bit to fpga right? Did you encoutner any SI/CRC issue?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos

We get the same error when erasing the flash. 

Schematic was checked by both xilinx and ISSI. 

We can use both vivado and xilinx SDK to download the bit file and run the code but we can't program use the flash. 

0 Kudos

Please share the flash + FPGA schematic I will check those. Probe the prog_b, init_b, FCS_B. Is PUDC_B connected? Or floating?
Above flash is supported and tested for this device so there has to be some HW related issue. How many boards are showing this behavior?

Thanks
Harshit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos

Harshit,

Happy to share the full schematic if I can get a private email address. For now I attached screenshots of the connections in question. Let me know if you see anything you don't like. This issue happned on all three boards we tested so far.

Thanks!

Mustafa

flash.png
PUD.png
0 Kudos
Observer nwillard
Observer

To update this project:

Tried on both 2018.3 and 2019.1 - no change

Customer loaded sample bitstream in FPGA to toggle MOSI pin to verify it is not shorted. This test was successful.

Customer shipped platform to FAE to recreate error. FAE witnessed similar results. 

QUESTION: Has Xilinx confirmed the IS25LP016 can program a Spartan 7 device? What device/tool combinations were used in the validation process?

Are there other low level commands/mechanisms for Vivado/HW manager to bit bang or interrogate the FLASH? We do not see data out of MOSI line.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Neil

0 Kudos

Any update on this? We are still not functional. 

0 Kudos
Observer nwillard
Observer

We believe we have found an issue in the lastest version of the schematic. 

Just to add. We did the recent testing again after seeing this issue. Above flash is fully supported and works with Vivado version which you are using.
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos