UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer elmassiz
Observer

Using ISSI IS25LP128 as configuration flash for Xilinx Atrix-7

Hello Xilinx experts,

After designing in FPGA Atrix-7 in my design, I found out that Vivado does not support ISSI Flash (yet). So I am trying to find a way to have my design work with any flash by programming the flash on board using a third party programmer (and ICT in production). I was able to program the ISSI flash using that method but the Flash is not configuring the FPGA on power up (Master mode). The Done bit is not going high. 

I had to create an mcs file for the flash but since Vivado does not support ISSI flash I couldn't select it in GUI. I tried creating an mcs file selecting Micron and then I tried generic by just selecting the size 16MB in SPi1X mode.

My question, does anybody have success booting from ISSI flash to configure Atrix-7? Anything special? I am still debugging the board but I have a feeling my problem could be a compatibility issue....

Thanks in advance....

Z

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: Using ISSI IS25LP128 as configuration flash for Xilinx Atrix-7

Have a look through the configuration guide,

I think , the FPGA needs to have a compatible flash , as part of the built in FPGA state machine that starts up the fpga, has to read a flash ID it recognises, so it knows what to do,

So even if you program the Flash, as it has an ID that the FPGA does not recognise, the fpga will not program.

I could be 100 % off there, but it might be worth while checking.

The other common thing to go wrong during external prom configuration , is the endianess,

just check you have the right bits in the rigth place,

again there is a debug configuration problem guide that might help

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug470_7Series_Config.pdf

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/34904.html

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Configuration/Using-ISSI-IS25LP128-JKLE-as-configuration-flash-for-Xilinx/td-p/807429

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Observer elmassiz
Observer

Thanks for the reply....  I had suspected the flash ID and that is why I asked if anybody else had something working with the same flash and FPGA. You would think a person from Xilinx would have an answer to that. It is a simple question.....

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re xilxin person you ask,

there are xilxin people on here, and us noen xilxin people,

I think the idea is to share the load, simple stuff we can do, 

stuff that needs local / tecnical knowledge that might not be general, we can't generaly do.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @elmassiz ,

I think I am not sure whether it should work or not but some people is talking about IS25LP128  with Spartan-6 device and they managed to get it work. I think this may helps you to work IS25LP128 Flash with Artix-7 devices.

Please go through below the forum post

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Configuration/Using-ISSI-IS25LP128-JKLE-as-configuration-flash-for-Xilinx/td-p/807429

Best Regards,
Srikanth
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
Observer elmassiz
Observer

Hi @savula

I am aware of that post but I was curious if the Arix-7 works with the ISSI....... However, I came across an ISSI App Note AN25G004 where ISSI demonstrates how the ISSI flash memory works with Artix-7. So the answer to my question yes it should work according to ISSI but I could not make it work so far.....

Regards,

Z

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi, @elmassiz ! Have you succeeded to run Artix with issi flash? We are going to use 1.8V flash from issi (IS25WP256D) and there is no alternative, which have direct support from Vivado and Artix. We sent a request for AN25G004 app note, but have not yet received a response. 

0 Kudos

@alexkarnaukhov ,

have you checked latest vivado tools support for flash programming for ISSI parts with Artix?

if not check the following link in page 330

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_3/ug908-vivado-programming-debugging.pdf

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Yes, I just installed Vivado 2018.3 and everything working normally. Thanks.

0 Kudos