UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

V5 mcs file CRC algorithm

Jump to solution

My space program has Built in Test (BIT) requirements.  We were hoping to read the configuration file (mcs) stored in MRAM and verify the checksum for both our main and fallback configuration images. 

In the “Virtex-5 FPGA Configuration User Guide”, UG191, table 6-15 shows two “Type 1 write 1 words to CRC” commands along with the CRC values. I found these values in an old .mcs file I had.  The .mcs file implements bit and byte swapping.  The CRC Write command 30000001 appears as 000C8000 in the .mcs file.  I found two CRC Write commands (which correlates with table 6-15 in the “Virtex-5 FPGA Configuration User Guide”.  The CRC Write commands are located at bytes 5DE52C and 5DE77C which puts the CRCs at 5DE530 and 5DE780.

Can you tell me how these CRCs are calculated?  UG071 shows a CRC32 checksum algorithm. Is this CRC used in the V5’s, too?

I wasn’t able to find the CRC algorithm or the range of data the CRC is executed over. Can you point me to the range of data in the configuration file the CRCs are calculated over?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: V5 mcs file CRC algorithm

Jump to solution

Hi jhaynes@harris.com ,

Yes Virtex 5 follows CRC-32 algorithm.

As the configuration data frames are loaded, the device calculates a cyclic redundancy
check (CRC) value from the configuration data packets.

From Data word 1 to Data word Last(1024) of table 6-15, CRC values is calculated.

Regards,

Deepak D N

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Reply or give kudo or Mark it as an Accepted Solution.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,
Deepak D N
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please Kudo and Accept as a Solution, If it helps.

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi jhaynes@harris.com ,

Yes Virtex 5 follows CRC-32 algorithm.

As the configuration data frames are loaded, the device calculates a cyclic redundancy
check (CRC) value from the configuration data packets.

From Data word 1 to Data word Last(1024) of table 6-15, CRC values is calculated.

Regards,

Deepak D N

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Reply or give kudo or Mark it as an Accepted Solution.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,
Deepak D N
Please Kudo and Accept as a Solution, If it helps.

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thanks Deepak D N!  I appreciate the response.  Can I assume the CRC at location 0x5DE530 is for the configuration data frames and the CRC at 0x5DE780 is from Data word 1 to Data word Last(1024) of table 6-15?  Thanks again for the help! -John

0 Kudos