cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

What Hardware/Software tools are needed to program a XCS40XL and PROM

Jump to solution

Hello!

I have a quick question regarding programming tools with some older Xilinx hardware.  We are taking on an old project that uses a Spartan XL (XCS40XL-4PQG208C) FPGA paired with a PROM (XC17S40XLSO20I).

In order to program these devices, what hardware/software solution should I have?  We do have a JTAG programmer (JTAG-HS2) from a Digilent demo kit we were playing around with a while back.  Would that be adequate to program both our FPGA and PROM, or would we need something like the Platform Cable USB II?  Is there a recommended software for programming the specific FPGA/PROM we are using?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher
The JTAG can be used to program the spartan, but that will be lost upon power cycle.

The prom you have is a one time programmable device, and can not be programmed using the HS2.

You needicate programmers for these old proms, which generally can not be done on board, unless you have the circuit designed to support this. Im guessing as your asking you have not ,

A JTAG programmer will not do the job you require, you need a dedicated programmer,

Have a google for your prom part with the word programmer , you will find many programmers, that come with their own programming software.

Sorry, these parts are so old, I have no experience with them for over 20 years. Im amazed you can even purchase them ,
<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher
The JTAG can be used to program the spartan, but that will be lost upon power cycle.

The prom you have is a one time programmable device, and can not be programmed using the HS2.

You needicate programmers for these old proms, which generally can not be done on board, unless you have the circuit designed to support this. Im guessing as your asking you have not ,

A JTAG programmer will not do the job you require, you need a dedicated programmer,

Have a google for your prom part with the word programmer , you will find many programmers, that come with their own programming software.

Sorry, these parts are so old, I have no experience with them for over 20 years. Im amazed you can even purchase them ,
<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>

View solution in original post

Highlighted
drjohnsmith

Thanks for the reply!
I actually just now learned that we will be getting the PROMs pre-programmed from the customer, so it sounds like we may not even need to do anything. Good to have the information regardless.

Thanks!
0 Kudos