UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Winbond W25Q16JV - Compatible memory part on Vivado 2018.3?

Jump to solution

Hello, 

I would like to program a Winbond W25Q16JV serial flash with Vivado 2018.3 but it is not on the list displayed by the hardware manager. I have looked for equivalents from the manufacturers on the list and I found the following migration table from Macronix:

http://www.macronix.com/zh-tw/products/Documents/Macronix%20NOR%20and%20NAND%20Flash%20Cross%20Reference%20Guide.pdf

My serial flash is on the list and the equivalent Macroinx part is "mx25v1635f" but when I select that part and try to program the flash I get a critical warning: 

[Labtools 27-2251] Unable to read device properties. Please make sure that the proper configuration memory part is selected.

Does the tool check if the part I am trying to program is not one from the list? I am wondering if someone programmed the same part I have or a similar one.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I tried all the parts with the same density (16 Mb) and none of them did the trick.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Explorer
Explorer

回复: Winbond W25Q16JV - Compatible memory part on Vivado 2018.3?

Jump to solution

The device has a specific vendor and part ID readable by the host. As you discovered, the programming tool checks this ID info and will refuse to program a device if that ID isn't on its list.

Why is this? Each flash device has specific programming characteristics, despite it having an identical size and structure to other 'compatible' devices. Or I should say, *may* have different characteristics. You can't know unless you're an expert in flash programming. So the tool always goes by the ID.

At any rate this problem has been the bane of engineers and buyers for decades.

Is there a flow to develop one's own flash programmer profile? My experience with set-top-box chips had this information in the form of an XML file. This seems to be common in the industry now. I don't know how Xilinx handles this, maybe @iguo can shed some light on it.

3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi j,

All the parts listed in UG908 or seen in Vivado are tested and verified by Xilinx. So yes, Vivado will check the ID of the flash and if the part is not listed, Vivado cannot program it.

Macronix's doc you provided said w25q16jv is equivalent to mx25v1635f, which is supported by Vivado. Then you may try to program it for Xilinx FPGA with some 3rd-party programmer. Anyhow you should guarantee the compatibility personally by checking the datasheet, run some hw tests, etc.

Thanks,

Ivy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

The device has a specific vendor and part ID readable by the host. As you discovered, the programming tool checks this ID info and will refuse to program a device if that ID isn't on its list.

Why is this? Each flash device has specific programming characteristics, despite it having an identical size and structure to other 'compatible' devices. Or I should say, *may* have different characteristics. You can't know unless you're an expert in flash programming. So the tool always goes by the ID.

At any rate this problem has been the bane of engineers and buyers for decades.

Is there a flow to develop one's own flash programmer profile? My experience with set-top-box chips had this information in the form of an XML file. This seems to be common in the industry now. I don't know how Xilinx handles this, maybe @iguo can shed some light on it.

Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

No we don't have a flow to allow programming of customer-selected flash in Vivado yet.

The focus of this work is to verify whether the flash is compatible with Xilinx FPGAs,  including both Data Sheet compatibility and HW testing. So if we have done this work, the flash will be already added to support list.

For a not-listed flash, if it's a frequently used one, and if we get (lots of) requests to add the support, designers will consider testing it in labs and then according to the result, adding it to offical support.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------