UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie etantonio

XILINX Platform Cable USB II not recognized in Windows 7 and Impact 13.4 (nt64) version 0.87 XD

Good morning, it is the first time I use a XILINX Platform Cable USB II together with Windows 7 , the problem is that the cable is not recognized and I've always the answer: "   WARNING:iMPACT - The cable selected is not avaliable, please select a different one.     Connecting to cable (Usb Port - USB21).      Checking cable driver.       Driver file xusb_xp2.sys found.       Driver version: src=2301, dest=2301.       Driver windrvr6.sys version = 10.2.1.0.Cable connection failed. " the board I want to program is the Spartan 3A DSP 1800A but I don't think is a board problem, simply the cable is not recognized from windows 7. I'm using Impact 13.4 (nt64) version 0.87 XD

How can I solve this problem? Thanks for your help

Antonio www.etantonio.it

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Newbie etantonio

Re: XILINX Platform Cable USB II not recognized in Windows 7 and Impact 13.4 (nt64) version 0.87 XD

No answer for this question ?

Actually this problem is stopping my development plan.

Is Xilinx at home?

Antonio

www.etantonio.it

0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Re: XILINX Platform Cable USB II not recognized in Windows 7 and Impact 13.4 (nt64) version 0.87 XD

I won't speak for anyone but myself...

USB Platform Cable problems are messy, involving both hardware and software.  For some systems, the problems seem to be without solution, and without identifiable cause.  In short, this is a problem area which appears to be without guaranteed solutions for any and every situation.

If you have already searched the Xilinx website for related application notes, and searched the forums for related threads, there is not much useful information or advice to add.

You should open a webcase for direct official support from Xilinx.  This is a user-to-user forum -- not official Xilinx customer support -- even though Xilinx folks are actively engaged and responsive as time and schedule permits.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Newbie etantonio

Thanks for your answer,

fortunately I found the solution, also if it is not exactly clear,

My system is Window 7 with installed ISE 13.4 , with this installation the DLC10 is not recognized,

Solution:

follow this procedure http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/35924.htm that is necessary only for

"Installation of Cable Drivers for ISE 10.1, 11.x on Windows 7"

hope this will be useful for someone.

Thanks, bye

Antonio D'Ottavio

www.etantonio.it

Observer thomas1974
Observer

So you had to install the 12.x cable drivers for also 13.4?  What is with 14.1?

0 Kudos
Newbie jwgiron

Here's the process I had to go through after installing ISE 14.1 on Windows 7 x64

• Make sure Platform Cable USB is unplugged
  • Open a Windows cmd.exe prompt as Administrator
  • cd to C:\Xilinx\14.1\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt64

> install_drivers.exe
> wdreg -compat -inf %cd%\windrvr6.inf uninstall
> wdreg -compat -inf %cd%\xusbdrvr.inf uninstall
> wdreg -compat -inf %cd%\windrvr6.inf install [May get a Windows prompt here to allow installation]

• Plug in USB cable
  • Go to Windows Device Manager
    • Look for 'Jungo'
    • Make sure it says 'WinDriver' under Jungo
    • If not, right-click and select 'Update Driver Software'.  Select 'Search automatically for updated driver software'
  • Go back to CMD prompt (USB cable must be plugged in for this step!)

> wdreg -compat -inf %cd%\xusbdrvr.inf install  [Should get a Windows prompt here to allow installation]

• Programmer status light should turn on and be green, if attached to target
  • Run 'Cable Auto Connect' in Impact to verify
  • Tested with both 'Platform Cable USB' and 'Platform Cable USB II'

References:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/44397.htm

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/41442.htm

Newbie ahmedsheimy

i have new spartan 3e kit that have two blue dots

ise 14.1 and its impact cant  find the cable but the cable is installed

my os is windows 7 32 bit

i try more and more

finally i do the following

1-if IMpact dos not identify to the cable install 10.1 programming tools as the following

a-extact and install tools
b-open windows CMD as admin and goto cd C:\Xilinx\10.1\ISE\bin\nt
c- run the followimg command
> install_drivers.exe
> wdreg -compat -inf %cd%\windrvr6.inf uninstall
> wdreg -compat -inf %cd%\xusbdrvr.inf uninstall
> wdreg -compat -inf %cd%\windrvr6.inf install [May get a Windows prompt here to allow installation]

Plug in USB cable
    Go to Windows Device Manager
        Look for 'Jungo'
        Make sure it says 'WinDriver' under Jungo
        If not, right-click and select 'Update Driver Software'.  Select 'Search automatically for updated driver software'
    Go back to CMD prompt (USB cable must be plugged in for this step!)

> wdreg -compat -inf %cd%\xusbdrvr.inf install  [Should get a Windows prompt here to allow installation]

d-open impact from cmd using impact.exe it will over updating the cable press ok

now if you use new impact version it will over updating also press ok

and now everything is ok

0 Kudos
Visitor sjlesli
Visitor

Thanks for the input guys. So I am searching this forum and have the problem where my LED does not even turn on the USB Platform Cable and I am running Win 7 64-bit. When I try the very first step  "install_drivers" (but from the Labtools\common\bin\nt64 directory) I get "User does not have admin priv. Driver installation did not complete successfully". SO I imagine this was automatic when I installed the tool, and no drivers got installed. Here's what is funny - I am administrator on my machine - when I go to control panel User accts I am listed as administrator. So what gives?

Thanks for any help guys - I appreciate your time.

-Shawn

0 Kudos
Newbie umer@aksa

Hi,

I am having similar problem ,I have a Platform USB II but the status light is not  turning on,I tried to follow the soultion given above but no success can some body please suggest me what should I do.

thanks.

0 Kudos
Visitor sjlesli
Visitor

After following the steps above to a "t", written by jwgiron 3 comments above yours, I was successful. I had a Xilinx support case opened up and he helped me through this and was very responsive (daily) - I eventually got passed the administartion privlidge thing, but I don't remember how we got past that. Its a driver thing, thats for sure.

0 Kudos
Visitor dodge55
Visitor

I'm having the same issue, even under administrator.  Platform Cable USB II not recognized by new Win 7 - 64 bit desktop.  I follow this script, and it almost works.  In Control Panel, the Jungo Windriver appears, and the Xilinx device appears under 'Programming Cables'.  The status light still doesn't light up.     When executing "wdreg -compat -inf %cd%\xusbdrvr.inf install", it goes thru several HWID USB\VID installs with warnings that device VID_xxxx&PID_xxxx is not plugged in.  It gets to one that looks like it is good VID_03FD & PID_0013 and gives the found device sound, but hangs forever trying to install the driver.  I haven't gotten past this hurdle.  Any Xilinx help?

Sutton

0 Kudos
Visitor dodge55
Visitor

Solved my problem.  Don't use a USB hub.  Connect directly to your computer.

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

@dodge55 wrote:

Solved my problem.  Don't use a USB hub.  Connect directly to your computer.

funny, my USB Platform Cables II are connected to a hub and they work fine.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

In my experience, reliability of connection to the USB Platform Cable is very sensitive to (motherboard) hardware, ranging from <no way, no how> through <works directly from motherboard port only> to <works every time, even through hubs>.

In other words, your mileage *will* vary, depending (particularly) on your hardware.  I have worked with systems with which multiple re-boots are required to achieve a "connect" to the USB Platform Cable, and other systems which have no troubles whatsoever.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

@eteam00 wrote:

In my experience, reliability of connection to the USB Platform Cable is very sensitive to (motherboard) hardware, ranging from <no way, no how> through <works directly from motherboard port only> to <works every time, even through hubs>.

In other words, your mileage *will* vary, depending (particularly) on your hardware.  I have worked with systems with which multiple re-boots are required to achieve a "connect" to the USB Platform Cable, and other systems which have no troubles whatsoever.

-- Bob Elkind

The dongles I have work well on this Dell Studio XPS box (running Win7-64) and this other Dell Precision box (same OS). They worked fine on the two WinXP-32 and -64 boxes that were here previously, and they work even in WinXP-32 and Win7-64 virtual machines hosted on my MacBook Pro and my iMac. Also, I haven't heard from the technicians about any failures to connect. (And they'd complain, usually assuming that the boards were at fault, not the dongles.)

What kind of off-brand clone computers are people using? What kind of crappy Chinese USB hubs?

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

> What kind of off-brand clone computers are people using? What kind of crappy Chinese USB hubs?

The problem may also be with a knock-off Xilinx USB cable.   Xilinx goes after these guys from time-to-time, but the Chinese legal system makes it very difficult to present a case.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Observer thomas1974
Observer

I have found a case like that in the german mikrocontroller forum. Several guys report that they have bought "Xilinx USB Programmers" from a reseller named: "sainspeed". They can also be found at www.sainstore.de. They sell from Leipzig Germany and call themself "DE Lager".

He complained that one of the programmers died quickly and got no warranty since they stay silent.

One has to make up ones mind, where to buy tools from.

0 Kudos
Visitor johnnymopo
Visitor

your so awesome

0 Kudos
Newbie hefin.evans

This worked for ise 14.5 as well. Just need to change the directory

Thanks

0 Kudos
Observer jspangar
Observer

While it seems silly now, I'll blame the documentation. I tried all these fixes, nothing worked. Then I realized almost by accident that I had the USB port plugged into the wrong USB interface on the KC705 board. There are two initerfaces, one is for the USB to JTAG (the lower one micro A), the other is for the UART interface. When I plugged in the correct interface bingo! It connected.
0 Kudos

hey man i can't Thank you enough for walking me through this stupid as **bleep**. My own instructor had no idea let alone to help me. I literally spend a weekend to figure this **bleep** out. It work perfectly.

Once again Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
Visitor mqahwash
Visitor

Hello all,

I can't get my Xilinx Platform Cable USB II to work with windows 10...any idea!?

I am using ISE14.7

Regards,

Murad

0 Kudos

Hi Murad,

I'm in similar situation with regards to xilinx cable (DLC10) device on Win10 64bit, but Vivado 2016.1. There is certainly more than a handful of things to check, say pin connection, etc. Drivers are all fine on my side I suppose, how about your drivers? I can also easily connect to a FTDI JTAG device, but not the Platform Cable USB II for unknown reasons. I'm going to analyse further and also posted two more comments. Let me know if you have news. What type of Windows is it 32 or 64bit? Have you tried with Vivado?

Checklist

• Check pin connections
  • Check USB-cable to Xilinx debugger device
  • Check USB HUB vs no USB HUB
  • Check different FPGA device/board
  • Check power issues
  • Check Platform Cable device light (=Green)
  • Check Jungo/Windrv in Windows (check Device Manager)
  • Re-install Drivers
  • Disconnect all devices, Reboot Windows, Re-connect etc.
0 Kudos
Visitor jmadill
Visitor

I have been having this same problem and the following solved my issue

-Open cmd prompt at administrator

-CD to C:\Xilinx\Vivado\20XX.X\data\xicom\cable_drivers\nt64

-Run the following command : wdreg -compat -inf windrvr6.inf install

0 Kudos
Newbie pulsar4

This is a rebuttal to sjlesli's comment. I am using ISE 13.4 tools with xilinx spartan 3e starter kit on windows 7 64-bit. Impact would not recognize the cable. I tried everything until I found jwgiron's post which changed my life.
Follow those comments and you shall have your freedome. Thank you jwgiron!
0 Kudos