UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xilinx XCS350AN-TQG144 IN-FLASH MEMORY

Jump to solution

Hi,

We purchased Xilinx XCS350AN-5TQG144 for one of our projects. We chose this because of its internal flash memory as stated on the datasheet. I need help to access this in-flash memory because we did not include external flash memory on the board we designed. We need the FPGA to retain the program even after power off. Currently, the program is erased everytime the FPGA is power off.

Is it possible to make it non-volatile so that we don't need to reprogram the FPGA? Or we need to add external EEPROM or flash memory?

Regards,

Khristofer

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Xilinx XCS350AN-TQG144 IN-FLASH MEMORY

Jump to solution

Hi khristofer_marfa.m@xim-21

There is change of the in-system flash within the Spartan-3AN devices; there is possibility this may be causing issue in your case.

You have to apply patch to program the flash.

Check https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/59572.html for more details.

Regards,

Bhushan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,
Bhushan

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Check mode select pins are set correctly, to make use of the internal flash

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug332.pdf (Chapter 10)

Spartan-3AN Generation Configuration User Guide (UG332).png

Regards,

Bhushan

Regards,
Bhushan

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Bhushan,

Thanks. Do you have sample coding for this? Or how to do it in ISE Design Suite 14.7.

Regards,

Khristofer

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Check for https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug332.pdf (Page 223~233)

Regards,

Bhushan

Regards,
Bhushan

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Do I still need to use external flash memory for this? Someone told me that I still need to use external flash memory. I am still confused. Do you have sample program where in you use the internal flash memory of FPGA and it became non-volatile?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi guys,

Please help. I am really stuck on my problem right now. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Please see the attached file for the code and schematic of my project.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Spartan-3AN FPGA.png

If your design requires more space on flash than internal flash of FPGA; then only you need to use external flash.

Regards,

Bhushan

Regards,
Bhushan

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thanks. But can I ask for help if you can check the schematic and program if there is somethin I missed.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Also, can I ask for sample code in Verilog that  uses the in-flash memory of the FPGA?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Also, may I know how to use the program in the image.

Capture.PNG
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Check for https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp1034.pdf to access the In-System Flash in the Spartan-3AN FPGA after the FPGA is configured.

Regards,

Bhushan

Regards,
Bhushan

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi, I got this message when tried to open the Xilinx Platform Studio. 

Xilinx_Platform_studio_error.PNG
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi,

Any dstep by step help? I am a newbie on using FPGA. I am using ISE14.7. I really want to put the program on the in-flash memory so that I don't need to reprogram. Please help guys. Thanks. I am really still stuck. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Please help on this.

FPGA_mcs.png
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi,

Is there anyone who can help? 

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

There is change of the in-system flash within the Spartan-3AN devices; there is possibility this may be causing issue in your case.

You have to apply patch to program the flash.

Check https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/59572.html for more details.

Regards,

Bhushan

Regards,
Bhushan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Bhushan,

It is already working now. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos