UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor pranavr
Visitor

how to program a FPGA from vivado which is installed on a remote server

Hi,

We have vivado installed on a server, but I would like to use it to program a bit file on a FPGA which is located localy at my desk. Is it possible and how do I do it ? I am new to this so any detailed instruction would help. Thanks.

-Pranav

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Re: how to program a FPGA from vivado which is installed on a remote server

The program you are after is called "vcse_server" and is part of the Vivado installation. You will have to install at least a minimal version of the tools on your desktop machine that has the JTAG<->USB Cable connected. 

Once you are running vcse_server on your desktop machine (it is a console program) you can point your server at it from the 'Hardware Manager' and talk to your FPGA as if it was locally connected to the server machine.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @pranavr 
Check this video tutorial for detailed help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8axs4hw2f4

The userguide is http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2014_1/ug908-vivado-programming-debugging.pdf

Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Pranav,

A nice tutorial: http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2014_1/ug936-vivado-tutorial-programming-debugging.pdf (page no. 57)

Thanks,

Vinay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @pranavr

Did the given information helped you? If yes pleas close the thread by marking the solution.
Thanks,Vijay
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Visitor pranavr
Visitor

Thanks for your help. "vcse_server" & "hardware Manager" is the solution I was looking for.  

0 Kudos
Visitor simongu889
Visitor

I have the same problem, but my local machine is a macbook. Is there any solution to use FPGA on local macbook to connect to remote vivado? 

I referenced the following video/doc:

1)Setting up Vivado on an Amazon EC2 Instance – Part 4

2)vivado-tutorial-programming-debugging

It seems we need hw_server or cse_server, but I don't know if there is such software for macbook? 

0 Kudos