Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

mcs-86 parsing source code

Hi,

I want to program *.mcs file (Intel mcs86 format) to a serial flash (Configuration memory for FPGA) with SPI interface

My aim is to implement "Quickboot/multiboot" scheme in serial flash ....

1. We have control over SPI and we can perform read write to SPI flash...

2. How to parse *.mcs file before writing to SPI flash??... does Xilinx provide any source code/example code to parse *.mcs so that proper data could be written on to memory...
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

Check this answer record; it seems to have everything you need.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

In reality i have 2 different requirements....one for quickboot and other for multiboot.....

1. Quick boot

In this case as I should be communicating to ""SpiFlashProgrammer.vhd"" port to program bit file ie

1. i need to parse input *.mcs 

2. fetch data to ""inData32"" port of ""SpiFlashProgrammer.vhd""

3. ""SpiFlashProgrammer.vhd""  would handle erase  flash memory , erase critical word,verification  and handle quick boot header....

So as I understand I need to parse *.mcs data field and relay it to ""inData32"" port of ""SpiFlashProgrammer.vhd""??.....I have to discard the address filed in *.mcs

if not please advice....

2. Multiboot

In this case erasure has to handled by the user program

User has to feed in  address and data from *.mcs to serial flash....What is the role of *.prm file??

Does xilinx provide any example code or source code for this purpose ??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

i'm doing xapp1081 as well. i think your idea is correct, at least it's same as mine... Did you have any progress? it seems i can't feed the programmer with the right update data contents. Refers to your question in "1. Quick boot" , i converted *_update.mcs to .bin and tried to feed to inData32. 

looking forward your reply, 

Nick

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi there,

i'm really excited that after all everything goes pretty beautiful and i see that bling LED! For whom might encounter the same situation, i used N25Q256, SPI *1 with bit compression.

cheers,

Nick

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hello,

Can you share how you parse the mcs file into the FPGA? Did you just use .bin file for parse?

I am trying to parse the file into ethernet frame, Any idea how to do that?

Also, the flash memory I am using is spansion s25fl128, does the quickboot module able to handle it?

thanks!

0 Kudos