UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor rugedutch
Visitor

2 ethernet ports on development kit

Hi, we have a kintex7 development kit, and for some project we have we need 2 gigabit ethernet ports. The board has only one built-in but it also has an SFP port, which making some browsing I found out that you can attach an RJ45 copper module. I have two questions:

1. Can I use any RJ45 module and use it almost transparently in the project?

2. All modules I find implement SGMII, while I need RGMII. Is it that SFP only implements SGMII?

3. Any other recommendation on how could I attach a second ethernet port to the board?

Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Re: 2 ethernet ports on development kit

in SPF the only connectivity to the FPGA is through SGMII, RGMII is not possible. As long as you instantiate an SGMII IP on the FPGA, it should be transparent for the rest of the flow.
Another option is to buy an FMC card which has more ethernet ports on it: http://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/1-2ajpav.html
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Visitor rugedutch
Visitor

Re: 2 ethernet ports on development kit

Thanks for replying. I can't use the option you recommend, as I am planning to use it for EtherCAT, and the chipset that comes with that device is permanently programmed for preamble suppression, which then makes it not good for it. I am still looking for other FMC or SPF solutions. Thanks!

0 Kudos