cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4096 point FFT

Hi,

I need to process 4096 point FFT in less than 40us.

Real Data  at 204.8 MSPS from a 14-Bit ADC is to be interpreted as 102.4 MSPS complex data. I need to Segregate and send alternate samples to real and complex FFT inputs  I need to have Capability for Post FFT processing, frame integration desired, i.e., in brief "Streaming output with start of frame flag with  Output data rate of 102.4 MSPS".

Computation of(a) 4096-pt complex FFT (b) |FFT|^2 (c) Average |FFT|^2 over N FFTs to be available.

Can anyone suggest a FPGA based solution? Are there eval board available to carry out the above experiment?

Thanks in advance.

Jaideep

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ywu
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Virtex5 or Virtex6 can easily handle it. You can either use FFT generator from Coregen and plug in your requirements to get resource estimation so you can choose a device. Or take a look at the "Performance and Resourse Usage" section of the FFT data sheet (http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/xfft_ds260.pdf) to get some general ideas of you would get.

I would recommend you get a Virtex6 board and System Generator to play with your algorithm.

Cheers,

Jim

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos

Thankyou Jim.

I have gone through the xfft_ds260.pdf document and found them to be very helpful.

In addition I need to develop a Bit-accurate Matlab model and HDL test-bench for simulation and validation.How do I go about writing the SW and setting up the hardware? Is there an integrated solution available from Xilinx?

Thanks in advance.

Jaideep

0 Kudos
ywu
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

You may find System Generator very useful for your application. Please check the thread below for information about System Generator:

http://forums.xilinx.com/xlnx/board/message?board.id=DSPTOOL&thread.id=2080

Cheers,

Jim

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos

Thanks Jim.

With respect to my requirement, I have narrowed down my search for hardware board to

XtremeDSP Development Kit – Virtex-5 SXT Edition  $1,695.00
Part Number:
DO-V5-DSP-DK-SG-UNI-G

The info on this board says that System Generator SW and synthesis sw is included.

My question is :

is this the right choice of board for the above FFT application?

is ISE sw included if I buy the board? 

Thanks.

Jaideep

0 Kudos
ywu
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

As far as 4096 point FFT is concerned, the Virtex-5 XtremeDSP Development Kit will work. Regarding SW, I believe you will get the ISE SW tied to the device ((XC5VSX50FF1136) on the board. But don't quote me on that as I work in a different department. Please contact designkits@xilinx.com if you have questions on the kit.

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos

Hi Jim,

Thanks.

The XtremeDSP Development Kit – Virtex-5 SXT Edition Part Number:DO-V5-DSP-DK-SG-UNI-G contains Virtex-5 XC5VSX50T FPGA(XC5VSX50TFFG1136).

My question is:

xfft_ds260_Logicore.pdf describes the performance of Virtex 5 family FPGA, wherein a specific device, namely, XC5VSX95T, is quoted.It states, this device can compute 4k FFT in streamline architecture in 31us.

I would like to get a similar information on XC5VSX50T FPGA device.

Is this information available?Thanks in advance.

Jaideep Bose

0 Kudos