UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

ADC/DAC availability

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am trying to interface sensors with commercially available ML605 board. I need an ADC and DAC (to feed digital signal back to analog world). I found that there is a 10-bit ADC in the ML605 board for system monitor. It has some user accessible pins for ADC conversion. Does ML605 board have a DAC in it?  If I need to implement a DAC, do I need to make use of external FMC cards? 

regards,

Paul

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Re: ADC/DAC availability

Jump to solution

Here are some options:

• Choose a different FPGA development board, with the features you need for your project
  • Select a FMC daughter card which suits your needs, for use with the ML605.  Here are a few, search the web for others.
  • Select a 'breakout' FMC board -- such as this or this or this -- for adding/connecting your own custom circuitry.
  • Design and build your own custom FMC daughter card
  • Design and build your own custom FPGA development board with the features you need for your project.

Sadly, wishing the ML605 board to be something else is not likely to meet your needs.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

@paulleons wrote:

Does ML605 board have a DAC in it? 

What does the documentation for the board tell you?

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi,

There has been no mention for DAC. So i take that as a no. But I have an analog and mixed signal (AMS) kit for zynq board. I am wondering if I can use this in any way with ML605. Only possible external interface that could be feasible is to FMC card with an external DAC. I would be happy to hear other suggestions. 

regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Jump to solution

In the context of FPGAs, it is simple to construct a DAC from either of two approaches:

• R-2R summing ladder of parallel outputs.
  • PWM in the FPGA followed by low-pass filter (an R-C circuit) on the board.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

@paulleons wrote:

There has been no mention for DAC. So i take that as a no. But I have an analog and mixed signal (AMS) kit for zynq board. I am wondering if I can use this in any way with ML605.

Possibly, with some amount of glue logic and perhaps a little circuit board to mate the ML605 to the AMS kit. 

Only possible external interface that could be feasible is to FMC card with an external DAC. I would be happy to hear other suggestions.

Then what's wrong with the FMC card?

Another suggestion would be to build your own board with the FPGA and the components you need. 

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution
thanks a lot for the suggestions.

Using FMC would be ideal but I have to buy a FMC connector to plug into the board from xilinx or any of its associated distributors. Its frustrating that this connector is not provided with the ML605 evaluation board.
0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

@paulleons wrote:
. Its frustrating that this connector is not provided with the ML605 evaluation board.

It's an evaluation board. They cannot possibly cover every customer's needs, so they choose what best shows how the device works.

Most people who are working with these sorts of high-speed converters spin their own boards.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

> but I have to buy a FMC connector to plug into the board from xilinx or any of its associated distributors.

> Its frustrating that this connector is not provided with the ML605 evaluation board.

What good would it do to ship a mating FMC connector with board?  This would be useless with a PCB to mount it on and any PCB that was designed to mate with FMC would already have the connector on it.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution
thanks for replying to this thread.

mcgett, I totally understand your point and accept it. But what i mean to say is ml505 was equipped with XGI expansion headers which allowed easy integration of board with external DAC for univerity related applications. However for ml605, i am actually forced to buy a FMC female connector equipped with DAC which i would have designed otherwise. It would be perfect if ML605 had FMC slot as well as XGI expansion headers for easier integration for users.
0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Jump to solution

Here are some options:

• Choose a different FPGA development board, with the features you need for your project
  • Select a FMC daughter card which suits your needs, for use with the ML605.  Here are a few, search the web for others.
  • Select a 'breakout' FMC board -- such as this or this or this -- for adding/connecting your own custom circuitry.
  • Design and build your own custom FMC daughter card
  • Design and build your own custom FPGA development board with the features you need for your project.

Sadly, wishing the ML605 board to be something else is not likely to meet your needs.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

It is unclear if you are referring to pre-existing XGI DAC board that was built by your University or if this is something that would still need to be built.   If it was a pre-existing board then I can understand your point, if it is a new board then designing with the FMC connector should be no more difficult with the XGI.

The XGI headers that were on the ML40x and ML50x served there purpose, but we were not able to get an ecosystem to form around this interface.  The FMC interface is an industry standard and supports data rates that were not possible with the XGI interface.  The FMC interface has been used on the ML60x, SP60x and 70x boards and there is now a healthy ecosystem with multiple 3rd party developers creating modules of many types.  You should be able to find an off the shelf FMC DAC card that meets your needs with performance levels much higher than a custom built XGI module.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos