UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor suchit_ee
Visitor

All inclusive documents package?

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I recently attended a Xilinx Embedded Systems course, and one of the "Xilinx gurus" present in the classroom showed us a downloadable all-inclusive documentation package accessible through the Support tab. The downloadable app basically includes every single document available through Xilinx. I can't seem to remember the app's name. Does anyone know what it is called? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: All inclusive documents package?

Jump to solution

I believe you're talking about the newly released Document Navigator.You can download it from the main support site: http://www.xilinx.com/support/ (see the snapshot below). I highly recommend everybody give it try and post your feedback or questions back to this thread.

ScreenHunter_024.jpg

@suchit_ee wrote:

Hi all,

I recently attended a Xilinx Embedded Systems course, and one of the "Xilinx gurus" present in the classroom showed us a downloadable all-inclusive documentation package accessible through the Support tab. The downloadable app basically includes every single document available through Xilinx. I can't seem to remember the app's name. Does anyone know what it is called? Thanks.

Cheers,
Jim
32 Replies

Jump to solution
Please help me in interfacing PS2 keyboard to Xilinx virtex 2 pro.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

I believe you're talking about the newly released Document Navigator.You can download it from the main support site: http://www.xilinx.com/support/ (see the snapshot below). I highly recommend everybody give it try and post your feedback or questions back to this thread.

ScreenHunter_024.jpg

@suchit_ee wrote:

Hi all,

Cheers,
Jim
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

original poster,

It is callled Documentation Navigator - you can download it from the Support Page:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/

I'll admit it may not be easy to find yet - it just went live.

Secondary poster,

please start a new thread (and ideally provide a little more information on your background, what you've tried/found, etc.) versus posting to an existing thread with a completely different topic.

Cheers,

bt

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Sorry for two similar responses. Apparently Jim and I were typing at the same time... ;)

bt

0 Kudos
Visitor suchit_ee
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks guys,

yes I clicked on Support and found the app. This app is simply awesome. Since Jim's response appears first on the list, his solution got "accepted." Cheers!

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hello!

I install Document Navigator and find a some errors.

1) When I press on document title DN try to open document ... but I see a "white screen" and DN hangs.

2) When I press on link under "Location" column document is opened.

Also Document Navigator is a "hyper slow"

-- Note

I don`t use Adobe Reader in my system for view PDF`s.

P.S.

Updated Solution:

This is a detective story.

I install last Acrobat reader X.

But no sucess. Acrobat hangs also.

The problem is MAPI32.dll file modified by TheBat! email program.

So after replace MAPI32.dll with new one all (Document Navigator and Acrobat) works.

For working with Document Navigator you should install Adobe Reader.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

kurgan, thanks for the update.

For other users who don't use Adobe Reader: to get the full benefits (like search, viewing PDF within DocNav) out of DocNav, you really need to install Adobe Reader.

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos
Visitor suchit_ee
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi,

I don't seem to be able to delete documents on the "Document Tray". I open the document to read, then click on the little "X" button (upper right), which does close the document but doesn't remove it from the document tray. Any ideas? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Is the document you closed listed above or below "Recent Documents" line of "Document Tray"?

@suchit_ee wrote:

Hi,

I don't seem to be able to delete documents on the "Document Tray". I open the document to read, then click on the little "X" button (upper right), which does close the document but doesn't remove it from the document tray. Any ideas? Thanks.

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos
Scholar markcurry
Scholar

Jump to solution

This app looks like a great idea.  My guess is, however, it only works if you have your

associations setup for all pdfs to be open with Acrobat?  I've got Acrobat installed,

but it's NOT my default pdf reader.  I'm thinking this breaks things with the Xilinx tool. 

I get the catalog (nicely organized!).  But clicking on things just opens a blank

screen.  Sigh.   Hopefully they'll get things worked out, as this is a much needed

tool.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Mark,

That's correct, you should be using Acrobat Reader with the prefernce to "open in browser" to get the most out of the tool.  If you have another reader like Foxit, you shoud download the documents you use frequently and then right-click on the title in the main window and select Open Local File.  This should hopefully use your other reader.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

"... and then right-click on the title in the main window and select Open Local File..."

... Or simply click on file link in Location column... ;)

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

So is there any way to add documents to this brower?

I'm still using S3AN and V4 devices and it would be nice to have those data sheets and user guides accessible via the browser.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

bassman59,

There are no plans to add older families, however we are exploring ways of exposing more customization to customers and may enable that in a future release.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hello

Document Catalog 2011.03.18 NOT update "Spartan-6 Series Overview" DS160 to latest version!!!

I see "Up To Date" info.

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

@kpatel wrote:

bassman59,

There are no plans to add older families, however we are exploring ways of exposing more customization to customers and may enable that in a future release.

Grrrrr,

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

The Doucment Tray has a tab called "User Resources" (see the red box in the snapshot below). Click on it to open it, then drag&drop PDFs from your file browser into that area.

ScreenHunter_028.jpg

@bassman59 wrote:

So is there any way to add documents to this brower?

I'm still using S3AN and V4 devices and it would be nice to have those data sheets and user guides accessible via the browser.

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

DocNav bug report

Jump to solution

I'm assuming that this thread is serving as "the" DocNav thread (until a sticky DocNav thread is set up).  Here is a bug report.

The Spartan-6 UG383 Block RAM Resources User Guide is visible in the catalog only if Functional Categories > PCB Design is checked in the documents selection filter pane.  A better filter category for UG383 would be Design or Memories and Storage.

Another comment:  There doesn't seem to be an 'about DocNav' facility which displays the software version of the DocNav utility itself.  The date of the document catalog is displayed, but this is different than the software version of the program itself... right?

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: DocNav bug report

Jump to solution

Thanks for the feedback Bob.  We have recategorized UG383.  As far the application version, you can find that in the Title Bar (1.0) as well as the Preferences Dialog "Runtime Environment" Tab.

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Jump to solution

As far the application version, you can find that in the Title Bar (1.0) as well as the Preferences Dialog "Runtime Environment" Tab.

Thanks for the response.  After running billions and billions of Windows apps over the years (including ISE), I've been trained to look in certain places ( e.g. HELP > ABOUT ) for software version information.

Just to be clear, I think the time and effort to develop DocNav has been well spent.  DocNav is a valuable and worthy answer to an ongoing need.  Well done, and thank you!

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Hi folks,

I find docnav to be an extremely useful single point of entry to most documentation. That's great, and most welcome.

However, it depends entirely on your internet connection. Yesterday our network went down (yes, it happens) and I couldn't look at any documents, even the ones I had downloaded recently. Perhaps a network availability check should be done and failing that, just provide the cached versions of documents.

Thanks for a very useful tool,

-Pat

https://tuxengineering.com
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Pat,

i think you are missing a main feature of the tool which is download and desktop document management.  In the main toolbar, you should find a Download Manager icon.  Whatever list of docs you have displayed in the main view can be downloaded with 1-click using the Download Manager and then you don't need to worry about those times your connection is not available.  We'll make the features more clear in an upcoming release with a short video tour of the application.

-Kamal

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Hi Kamal,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I see what the download button does now. I also found the export collection to another directory in the settings window that may come in handy.

Cheers,

-Pat

https://tuxengineering.com
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor awattar
Visitor

Jump to solution

Is there any Linux vesion for Documentation Navigator ?? or similar product 

Thanks  

0 Kudos
Participant teraser
Participant

Jump to solution

Hi! Is there any possibility to get it work through proxy?

Thanx! 

--
Dies diem docet.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Nope, there is currently no Linux support but we are planning to add support at some point in the future.  We don't really have a date we can give yet.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

For proxy issues, we use the system proxy settings.  On Windows, if IE can get to xilinx.com, then this application should be able to as well. We have no plans to offer up custom socks or http proxy support in the near term.

Participant teraser
Participant

Jump to solution

Ok, i can go to xilinx.com from IE, but i have to enter user name and password for proxy (it's remembered in IE, so i have to press OK only). Will docnav work then? Thanks.

--
Dies diem docet.
0 Kudos
Participant teraser
Participant

Jump to solution

Yes, Docnav shows the username and password window for proxy, and it can download pdf updates. But it can't download catalog update... Can anyone give any advice?

Thanx. 

--
Dies diem docet.
0 Kudos