UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer jaruiz@kaleao
Observer

Auto-generation of AXI4 register blocks

Jump to solution

Imagine you want to generate an AXI4 register block automatically from some sort of register definition file. It might be IP-XACT or it might be some other bespoke format.

What (free) tools would you use for this?

What I have done so far in my current company is start from a boilerplate AXI4 register block in Verilog generated by Vivado and then hack it to suit my needs. In a previous company we used to have a nice custom tool that built arbitrary register blocks from bespoke XML definitions. This is the kind of tool I'm looking for and I suspect there must something like this out there, even if I could not find it.

Any suggestions? What do you use yourselves in a case like this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Auto-generation of AXI4 register blocks

Jump to solution

Hi jaruiz@kaleao,

I do not think Xilinx has a solution for this.

You can always contact the author of the AirHDL. He might sell it solution this way you could have it.

Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
4 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi jaruiz@kaleao,

I think https://airhdl.com/index.jsp might be a good ressource for you. I never tried it but it seems to be what you are looking for.

Regards,

Florent
0 Kudos
Observer jaruiz@kaleao
Observer

Jump to solution

Thank you, I was aware of that web. But it seems to be an online-only tool?

Does it not bother you that it may disappear or change at any time? How will you support your project in a few years' time?

They do have a command line tool you can download and use locally, but it is not free so I cannot tweak it. And I will want to tweak it.

I suspect a lot of people has rolled their own register generation tool and I hoped someone would have made theirs available...

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi jaruiz@kaleao,

I do not think Xilinx has a solution for this.

You can always contact the author of the AirHDL. He might sell it solution this way you could have it.

Regards,

Florent
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

jaruiz@kaleao,

There is an open source solution with a similar capability that I have written and maintain.  It is called AutoFPGA.  It can be used to automatically add peripherals to a bus interconnect based upon the configuration files given to it at a command line.

At present, it only supports Wishbone.  It does not support AXI or even AXI-lite. These are on my to-do list, but I really don't have any projects currently requiring them so they might take some time before they get implemented.

Feel free to contact me if you'd like to discuss this further.

Dan