cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iiibbo
Visitor
Visitor

Avaliable power and currents on ZC706 Zynq board for external devices

to minimize the required power components for a communication system, we wonder whether we can benefit the supplies externally on the zynq board. We will use some nets on pins on FMC. For example, is it possible for us to use XADC_5V pins on some XADC headers as a source? Similarly, can we carry 12V from zynq card without through FMC to benefit higher power levels. Moreover, beyond this, can you give us the avaliable power and current ratings on FMC pins (VCC_3.3V, VCC_VADJ, VCC_12V) and voltage sources (VCC_12V, XADC_5V) on board as mentioned earlier after dropping max and typical power consumptions on zynq card?     

0 Kudos
6 Replies
balkris
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

You can find power management feature here

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Zynq+Power+Management
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
iiibbo
Visitor
Visitor

Power management explained in this page is not my concern. I am not trying to monitor the current levels given in PMIBus on the board. What I want to learn is the max current consumption of the components on the board. For example, there is a switching regulator 12V to 5V for 5Vsource at max 2Ampers. I wonder how much is consumed by the components fed with 5V branch on the board. As an assumption, if 0.5A is used by components fed with 5V on the board, I can use 5V up to 1.5A (=2A - 0.5A) to source the devices operating in 5V in my other module by carrying out with a jumper or external cable, too. Similarly, there are other regulators and adapters for 12V, 3.3V, 2.5V, 1.8V on the board.  So, if there is empty room for current on 3.3V regulator after dropping out current consumption on the board, as an illustration, I can use this to source 3.3V in my other module, too. So what are the max and typical current passed on each regulator on the ZC-706 board while it is working?               

0 Kudos
balkris
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I am sure you have done power estimation
http://www.xilinx.com/products/technology/power/xpe.html

you may use XADC on-chip monitoring of supply voltages and temperature
http://www.xilinx.com/products/intellectual-property/axi_xadc.html

check this link as well

http://www.xilinx.com/products/technology/power.html#documentation

Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
andrewlan
Explorer
Explorer

The current usage will be based to a great extent on the application you have running on the board, so I doubt you are going to get a simple "The brd's +5V rail takes X amps"

I also think even trying to get a basic static current figure from Xilinx on this board will be challenging. (you'll need some clout via an FAE I would guess as a starting point)

And even if you get this info, you will still need to take this static current as a stating point and add on top how much extra power you will consume from your application running on the board.

0 Kudos
andrewlan
Explorer
Explorer

Saying that, for a FMC interface it should meet a standard (i.e. FMC VITA 57.1 standard)

0 Kudos
iiibbo
Visitor
Visitor

We concern the FMC standard. Hence, we consider carrying power without using FMC connector. We understand that power consumption changes according to the running applications. However, there must be maximum power consumption levels of each component since it is a big requirement for overall design and power management of whole system. By the way, there are few components on the some branches such as 5V. When we analyze it, we have seen a usb transceiver, hdmi connector, xadc header on the line after switching regulator. How much power can these components consume at max?  

0 Kudos