UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor pfine
Visitor

Beginner - need help loading image to FPGA

Jump to solution

I have an image for a Spartan 3A FPGA provided by a subcontractor to load onto my target platform.  I have access to a DLC10 Platform Cable, but I do not know what software to use to download the image to my target. I have started the download of the ISE application, but I expect the 3.2 GB file might be overkill. 

Is there a lightweight application which will allow me to download my image to the FPGA?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Instructor
Instructor

Re: Beginner - need help loading image to FPGA

Jump to solution

The application you need is IMPACT.  It is included in the ISE Tool Suite.  The Webpack edition is free.

You can download ISE 13.1, which includes IMPACT, here.

If you were my client, I would provide an in-person demonstration how to upload configuration files to your board, plus detailed instructions.

Is this a custom board design, or a standard development board?

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Instructor
Instructor

Jump to solution

The application you need is IMPACT.  It is included in the ISE Tool Suite.  The Webpack edition is free.

You can download ISE 13.1, which includes IMPACT, here.

If you were my client, I would provide an in-person demonstration how to upload configuration files to your board, plus detailed instructions.

Is this a custom board design, or a standard development board?

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.

View solution in original post

Visitor pfine
Visitor

Jump to solution

Bob,

I have started the download. Only 8 1/2 more hours to go.

We have a custom board design.  I just came onboard for this project.  We have people that know the FPGA tools and FPGA design; they happen to all be in training this week, so I am on my own for the moment.

I have actually done a download of an image to the FPGA, but it was years ago and I hadn't installed the tools.  Hence the question that you answered about what the correct tools are.

Thanks for you quick response,

--Paul

0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Jump to solution

I have started the download. Only 8 1/2 more hours to go.

I just realised you can download a subset of the tools, which is a much smaller download.  On the download page linked previously, scroll down to the "Lab Tools" section.  The Lab Tools package includes IMPACT.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
Professor
Professor

Jump to solution

The last time I downloaded "Lab Tools," it was still around 2 GB!  It includes an awful lot of stuff in

addition to Impact - like ChipScope and cable servers.  In my opinion Lattice is way ahead of

Xilinx in this regard.  Their "ispVM" software is not coupled to the development tools, so you can always

get the latest version.  And the download is only in the 10's of MB.  Xilinx could do well to package

"Production Tools" in addition to "Lab Tools."  Usually Impact is enough for production.

-- Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Visitor pfine
Visitor

Jump to solution

Awesome!  The download of the Lab Tools is done. Tools are installed.  The new image is loaded and I am able to start testing.

Thanks Bob!

0 Kudos
Professor
Professor

Jump to solution

I see Lab Tools is down to "only" 813.33 MB for version 13.1

Still it's a lot bigger than Impact alone...

Anyone from Xilinx listening?

-- Gabor
0 Kudos