cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Best CPU/RAM recommendation for Vivado (Logic and High-level Synthesis)

Do anyone have a recommendation for the best CPU/RAM configuration for Vivado and Vivado HLS?

9 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Best CPU/RAM recommendation for Vivado (Logic and High-level Synthesis)

@gdg The base platform suggested in Vivado's docs is way low in what is generally need.

My experience (which might not be representative of yours) is that you would use 32 Gb when running jobs in parallel (+6 cores).

In that, Vivado can use many cores but the most expensive operations are really on one single core - notoriously place/route.

So you better get the CPU with the fastest single core performance.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

If you can, overclock it - you will feel the difference but the best overclockable cpus are very expensive.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/overclocked_cpus.html

I recommend, if you go this way, to build with a liquid cooler like the Corsair or Kraken.

Another item that is going to make a huge difference is an NVME drive - for both the Vivado binaries and your data.

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
I will not answer to personal messages - use the forums instead.
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

@hbucher, I like to hear about other people experience and I agree with what you said. I never considered overclocking my workstation CPU for work (I thought about it only for gaming).

Do you or other users have feedback about Intel vs AMD CPUs for Vivado?

There is also the recent issue of Spectre and Meltdown security flaws: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/05/amd-is-big-winner-from-chip-flaw-fiasco.html, but that may be a different story.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@gdg In general Intel is much better for overclocking. The i7's have been a long staple of gaming rigs. 

AMDs got a real tailwind recently with Rizen because of the number of cores and price - which does not impact you much.

I myself run a 32Gb station with a 2-year old i7-5830 overclocked to 4.2 GHz (base is 3.3GHz) and it has never gone over 70C, even when running those massive overnight jobs in the summer. Usually you just overclock it to a reasonable number then let it running Prime95 overnight on all cores. If it is still alive in the morning, you bump it up another notch. That is my safe approach.

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
I will not answer to personal messages - use the forums instead.
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

@hbucherI confirm your experience. Tested on a very small project, a full Vivado run was slightly faster on a i7 4790 compared to a Ryzen 7 1700, both 16GB RAM and not overclocked.The Ryzen has twice as many cores, but 9% less single core performance according to http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700/2293vs3917

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

update:

Zynq Project, complete project build with i7 4790K:54 minutes. On i9 7900X: 41 minutes. A bit disappointing, taking into consideration that the i9 is almost 3 times faster than the i7 when raytracing with Zemax.

Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

@jonade

I had similar results and opinion. I am wondering if anyone was able to speed up the synthesis (CPU, memory, software libraries, OS, ...?)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

@gdg

Memory recommendations from Xilinx for different types of FPGA ... https://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/vivado/memory.html

Hope that helps

Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

@gdg

Looking at the 'budget' of your other post (assuming this is related to that)... if you have to choose between threads and CPU clock speed... choose the faster clock, as the amount of parallalism that is actually support in Vivado is not wide spread (e.g. not all operations are implemented to take full advantage of mutli-threadng)... so, for exampe, 4 fast thread may be better than 6 medium speed threads.

Hope that helps

Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

@xilinxacct this post was unrelated. In this case I am asking which is the best hardware to get nowadays that Vivado can benefit.

0 Kudos