UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Book with soft-core cpu example (VHDL)

Does anyone know about a book that teaches about a (working) soft-core processor with full source code and assembly, preferably in VHDL?

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Book with soft-core cpu example (VHDL)

I looked for one myself - if you find one I'd appreciate a heads-up - this is my area of interest also.

(soft/hard)

When buying VHDL/FPGA books be careful of the publication dates.

Most of the ones I've seen are more "tips and tricks" than full explanations

of anything.

You may find some info of use on http://opencores.org/ but it isn't exactly a "livewire" site.

Visitor sujitb
Visitor

I would recommend the book Digital Logic and Microprocessor Design With VHDL by Enoch O. Hwang.

Adventurer
Adventurer

Thanks for that sujitb

a search on amazon for enoch hwang brings up a couple of interesting variants.

There's a second edition dated 2017 including interfacing that looks worth a punt.

Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

I also discovered 'Digital design and computer architecture' by Harris, and there is also a recent version 'Digital design and computer architecture: ARM edition'. Anyone experience with either of these?

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos

Have the non-ARM version, 2nd ed.

Has both System Verilog and VHDL code side by side.

Covers the entire territory from FETs to modern x86 (gates, logic, RTL, processor design).

Does both pipelined and non-pipelined MIPS processor.

This is the best undergraduate book I've seen.