Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

CRC32 alternatives

Jump to solution

Hi,
I'm currently investigating CRC polynomial for gigabit ethernet. I'm using CRC32 but I've noticed there was a mentioning about a different polynomial for jumbo packages. I couldn't find any further information with my searches.

If you have knowledge about the subject and share it with me would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance. Have a nice day.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: CRC32 alternatives

Jump to solution

If you want to "optimize" your gigabit Ethernet connection, selecting any non-standard CRC will result in a non-working connection.  This cannot be regarded as optimal in any sense.

If you are researching CRC error detecting capabilities, this is a solved problem.  Read the works of Castagnoli or Koopman.

Yes, there are polynomials that give marginally better theoretical error detection performance than CRC32 when used with unrealistic error models.  CRC32C, for example.  Is it worth changing an existing protocol?  No.

At the time that jumbo frames were being considered for standardisation, the supposed shortcomings of CRC32 were used as one of the justifications for not including jumbo frames in the standard.  This was based on a flawed understanding of the required error detection performance, and I believe was deliberate FUD by the non-jumbo frame proponents.

Jumbo frames still aren't in IEEE 802.3, BTW.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Jumbo frames use the same CRC as any other Ethernet frame.  You will not need to redesign your CRC generator or checker circuit to handle jumbo frames - it will work just fine the way it is.

Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

Thank you for your answer.

I know that crc32 is fine for jumbo packs. But I told that there is another polynomial, a better one for jumbo packages. I need it for optimizing my project  

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

If you want to "optimize" your gigabit Ethernet connection, selecting any non-standard CRC will result in a non-working connection.  This cannot be regarded as optimal in any sense.

If you are researching CRC error detecting capabilities, this is a solved problem.  Read the works of Castagnoli or Koopman.

Yes, there are polynomials that give marginally better theoretical error detection performance than CRC32 when used with unrealistic error models.  CRC32C, for example.  Is it worth changing an existing protocol?  No.

At the time that jumbo frames were being considered for standardisation, the supposed shortcomings of CRC32 were used as one of the justifications for not including jumbo frames in the standard.  This was based on a flawed understanding of the required error detection performance, and I believe was deliberate FUD by the non-jumbo frame proponents.

Jumbo frames still aren't in IEEE 802.3, BTW.

View solution in original post