UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer camccarthy
Observer

CameraLink Master/Slave Question

Hello all, 

I am trying to use CameraLink with a Virtex component. Because of this, OSERDESE1 blocks are used since this is the hardware it supports. Each OSERDESE1 block takes up to 6 data pins, but because CameraLink is a 7:1 data serializer, I need to do a master-slave type implementation. The master gets the first 6 bits of data and the slave gets the last bit. 

My question is, how should the other 5 bits of the slave OSERDESE1 be set? I realize that changing these bits around does indeed change my output, so they must be set to something so that I get the appropriate 7-bit output.

Thanks for any help,

Cameron. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Historian
Historian

Re: CameraLink Master/Slave Question

@camccarthy wrote:

Hello all, 

I am trying to use CameraLink with a Virtex component. Because of this, OSERDESE1 blocks are used since this is the hardware it supports. Each OSERDESE1 block takes up to 6 data pins, but because CameraLink is a 7:1 data serializer, I need to do a master-slave type implementation. The master gets the first 6 bits of data and the slave gets the last bit. 

My question is, how should the other 5 bits of the slave OSERDESE1 be set? I realize that changing these bits around does indeed change my output, so they must be set to something so that I get the appropriate 7-bit output.

The unused bits on the OSERDES1 input should be set to '0', although since they aren't actually transmitted I don't think it matters.

You've probably figured out that you need five OSERDES1 blocks, one for each of the four data channels and the fifth for the 4:3 duty cycle clock. And you should also know that you have to put the bits of your 28-bit data word in the proper order before loading it into the OSERDES1.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Unfortunately we do not provide any sort of Camera link core. The closest thing we have is the Select-IO Wizard which sets up the FPGA IOs for the Camera Link interface. Note that the Select-IO wizard is only supperted for 6-series and newer devices.
Have the customer refer to their FAE in regards to what third party cores and vendors they need for their design.
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

@balkris wrote:
Unfortunately we do not provide any sort of Camera link core. The closest thing we have is the Select-IO Wizard which sets up the FPGA IOs for the Camera Link interface. Note that the Select-IO wizard is only supperted for 6-series and newer devices.
Have the customer refer to their FAE in regards to what third party cores and vendors they need for their design.

I don't think he's asking about using a Xilinx- or third-party-provided IP core to implement Camera Link. He's asking about what to do with the unused inputs to the serializer.

Besides, you don't have to use IP Cores for everything. A Camera Link transmitter with the 7:1 serializer is very easy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer camccarthy
Observer

I ask because I must not be attaching something right. Here is an example of what is occuring:

My reordered data (the data that ends up getting serialized) is 001010 1010000 1101010 0010101. I should expect to see 0110, 0010, 0101, 1010, 0001, 1010, 0001 correct? If this is correct, then something is absolutely wrong, since this is not the output of the serializer. 

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

@camccarthy wrote:

I ask because I must not be attaching something right. Here is an example of what is occuring:

My reordered data (the data that ends up getting serialized) is 001010 1010000 1101010 0010101. I should expect to see 0110, 0010, 0101, 1010, 0001, 1010, 0001 correct? If this is correct, then something is absolutely wrong, since this is not the output of the serializer. 

Hmm. I don't know. Your expectations are correct.

The last Camera Link serializer I did was in a V4 and that part can't do a 7:1 serializer, so I can't help any further.

0 Kudos