UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor cbuchendu
Visitor

Can you buy a license for UNISIM libraries to use in an ASIC

Jump to solution

Hi all...

Let's see who knows the answer to this:  We are trying to fab an ASIC based on a design done in Xilinx.  The design is structural and uses the UNISIM libraries.  Now, is it possible to pay for the right to use the UNISIM libraries in our ASIC?

Much thanks to whomever knows the answer.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Historian
Historian

Re: Can you buy a license for UNISIM libraries to use in an ASIC

Jump to solution

@cbuchendu wrote:

Hi all...

Let's see who knows the answer to this:  We are trying to fab an ASIC based on a design done in Xilinx.  The design is structural and uses the UNISIM libraries.  Now, is it possible to pay for the right to use the UNISIM libraries in our ASIC?

The unisim libraries are, as one might guess from the name, behavioral simulation models. The source code for these models is readily available (it's in the Xilinx tools installation tree), and it is very much not synthesizable at all.

The models are provided so the engineer can simulate a design which uses the various Xilinx primitives and blocks (such as the DCMs, the DDR I/O, the input and output serializers, etc etc). 

You need to use the unisim library in your source code when you synthesize using those various primitives; the package you used includes the necessary component declarations. You use it for simulation because it's the interface to the behavioral models.

So, the short story is: there's no "license" per se for those primitives because all that the library does is provide a hook into something that's a hardware feature. If your design depends on a Xilinx DCM, then, you'll have to see if your ASIC fab has something similar in their IP list, and you'll probably have to rework your code to take advantage of it.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
3 Replies
Visitor cbuchendu
Visitor

Jump to solution

how about someone pointing me to the license agreement for the UNISIM libraries; I can't seem to find them.

0 Kudos
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Jump to solution
This is the license to which you agreed when you installed the Xilinx software which contains the verilog/src/unisims directory:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/end-user-license-agreement.txt
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

@cbuchendu wrote:

Hi all...

The unisim libraries are, as one might guess from the name, behavioral simulation models. The source code for these models is readily available (it's in the Xilinx tools installation tree), and it is very much not synthesizable at all.

The models are provided so the engineer can simulate a design which uses the various Xilinx primitives and blocks (such as the DCMs, the DDR I/O, the input and output serializers, etc etc). 

You need to use the unisim library in your source code when you synthesize using those various primitives; the package you used includes the necessary component declarations. You use it for simulation because it's the interface to the behavioral models.

So, the short story is: there's no "license" per se for those primitives because all that the library does is provide a hook into something that's a hardware feature. If your design depends on a Xilinx DCM, then, you'll have to see if your ASIC fab has something similar in their IP list, and you'll probably have to rework your code to take advantage of it.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.