UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Compilation of components

I want to bind any of the two components (written using VHDL) to the top module and I don't want the other component to be synthesized while synthesizing the top module.

But xilinx ISE synthesize all the components in the top module.

The components are complex than the simple gates considered in example below.

------ code example

entity top

architecture top
begin

-- gatesel is declared in package

If (gatesel=1) generate
a1: andg port map(....);
end generate;

If (gatesel=2) generate
a1: org port map(....);
end generate;

If (gatesel=3) generate
a1: xorg port map(....);
end generate;

In this case, I expect any one of the component depends on gatesel value only to be synthesized. Can I  control this in any way?

FPGA freak
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Advisor eilert
Advisor

Re: Compilation of components

Hi Sridar,

what is the problem? The time XST uses to (unnecessarily) synthesize the unused sources?

One solution is to synthesize the components individually, and provide only the presynthesized NGC Netlists in your toplevel project.

This way you only synthesize the components when they change. In your toplevel design they are seen as black boxes and filled up with the netlist information during implementation.

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert

PS.: I'm not sure if partitioning is also a useful way to go. I think I read somewhere that partitions are recompiled only when they change in some way (source, synt. options).

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Compilation of components

Hi eilert,

Thanks for your comments. Yes obviously the time matters for a complex designs which takes around an hour or so to synthesize the design. So using two such components in a project increases the execution time.

Message Edited by sridar on 02-11-2010 02:03 AM
FPGA freak
0 Kudos