cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor
Visitor

Dynamic partial self-reconfiguration at runtime

Hi,

I have this machine learning circuit which I wish to implement on FPGA in such a way that when the circuit learns from the inputs, the FPGA can reconfigure itself (the learning part) dynamically at runtime.

This would involve dynamically regenerating the configuration bit stream at runtime when the circuit is learning. I have been searching around but couldn't find a relevant solution for it, as many of the dynamic reconfiguration methods were having the reconfiguration bit stream ready beforehand and load it at runtime. So is there a way I can do this on the fly?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Teacher
Teacher

What an "interesting" idea!

Perhaps if you use an FPGA with a PowerPC to re-generate the bitstream for the "learning part" of the circuit it could be done.

Try it for a few years, and let us know how you are getting on...

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

you need some kind of BIT-File for Partial Reconfiguration. This files are e.g. generated by ISE.

In an FPGA,it's almost impossible to generate such a file. And btw. the filestructure is (1) not

documented and (2) device dependend.

One solution to your problem is, that the logic/data/settings for your algorithm resides in a BRAM.

Together with a simple reconfigurationlogic, you can update this content and restart your algorithm.

Simple Example: For a neuronal network, the adders/multipliers/topology etc. are "hardwired", while

the weights are stored in BRAMs. After several lerning steps, a simple logic feeds the ne weights

into the BRAMs.

jotta

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

You could always pre-generate partial using XAPP 290 and the differnced based flow in FPGA Editor.  In this flow changes to the .ncd and be placed into a partial bit file that just has deviations from the prior design.  Just be careful that the partial are played in the same order in which they are created.

0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

I would like to buy a development board for runtime reconfiguration self study.

What is the min. config. to do that?

Spartan-6 FPGA SP601 Evaluation Kit ?

Spartan-3A platform evaluation kit?

Virtex?

Please feel free to suggest.

Thanks

Rgds,

John Ko

Tags (1)
0 Kudos