Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Embedded Processor for system control with an FFT

Greetings all,

I am a undergraduate student who is trying to design an FPGA with an embedded processor for system control. I want to connect an TI ADC to the ML403 board using a berg header cable. I hope to be able to create an FFT that can analyze the samples in the frequency domain. In order to do this I need to create a double buffer (FIFOs?) to hold the data samples until it is copied in to the memory bank and I decided to do it in ISE using Schematic entry. I really would like to try VHDL but I don't have the time. I'm just stuck on how to create the embedded processor in Microblaze. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Embedded Processor for system control with an FFT

One approach would be to get Xilinx EDK - I think there ia a free 30 day trial if you don't already have it.  It includes Platform Studio which includes a wizard to help you quickly create a MicroBlaze system with basic peripherals.  And it includes SDK which is the C programming environment, compiler, and debugger - I assume your FFT will be in C.

Using ISE and Platform Studio, you could create a custom peripheral that goes out and reads data from your A/D converter.  Your FIFO would be in the same peripheral.  And the MicroBlaze would read the data out of that.

Writing peripherals, SPI controllers, FIFOs, etc in VHDL or Verilog is not bad once you get up to speed.  Using schematic entry is possible, but for medium to larger FPGA designs with some number of states, the schematic would be huge!  Better to learn VHDL or Verilog.  A good basic VHDL book that has helped me is "Circuit Design with VHDL" by Pedroni.

Write some code to blink an LED - after that you can do anything!

Jim

0 Kudos