cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
calvinmc
Visitor
Visitor

FIFO IPcore: Fifo Primitive vs Block RAM implementation differences?

I was implementing a FIFO today and I was wondering what the difference between the FIFO Primitive and the Block RAM implementations are.  From what I can understand, they use the same underlying RAM primitives, but the FIFO Primitive can't have different R/W aspects or dual clock domains.  

Other than the obvious limitations which are outlined in the wizard, what are the other differences?  What advantage does the FIFO Primitive give you over the Block RAM?  For the record, I'm using 6-series Virtex, but this would apply to any family that has the FIFO Primitive I would think.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ddemmin
Participant
Participant

V6 includes some FIFO logic in the block ram of the FPGA.  This should reduce the resources needed to implement a FIFO if it is already using a block ram and fits the capabilities of the FIFO primitive.

See the overview on page 43 of ug363 :

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug363.pdf

Although I have used the fifo primitive I have not taken the time to implement the same with a generic block ram fifo from coregen and compare the implementation resources,  if you do so please post your results here :).

0 Kudos