cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alear
Visitor
Visitor

FPGA configuring other FPGA's through JTAG

What I want to do is use a V5 to program FPGA’s in a JTAG chain.  The V5 uses GPIO to connect to the TDI,TDO,TCK, and TMS.  The FPGA’s in the chain can change depending on which FPGA’s are loaded so the chain changes.

The difficulty that I see in this project is that I can’t just use an XSVF player with XSVF file because the device chain isn’t the same each time.  So instead, it looks like I need to know the protocol for programming each FPGA individually with the .bit/.download files.  I understand JTAG sequencing and accessing the TAP controller in the JTAG devices .

Where can I find information on how to actaully program an FPGA through JTAG (obviously without using impact or other)?

Thanks,

Alex

0 Kudos
2 Replies
evgenis1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi Alex,

Do you have to use JTAG to program other FPGAs?

Have you considered using one of the SelectMAP modes instead - it'd be much simpler.  

Thanks,

OutputLogic 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
alear
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks for your response.  The hardware architecture is fixed to use a JTAG connection only right now.  The older version used a system ace CF card to program the FPGA chain but those responsibilities are being taken over by an updated version that uses the Virtex 5 to connect to the JTAG connection.

I should also mention that I'm already able to access the JTAG connection and determine which devices are loaded in the chain.  So now I just need to know how to configure each chip manually.

Thanks,

Alex

0 Kudos