UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

FPGA utilization threshold

Is there any general guidelines to what level you should utilize the logic resources in a given FPGA device before you start consider moving over to a bigger device?

I know it is a question without a straight answer, but I am asking it anywayJ:

Thanks

/Erik

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Re: FPGA utilization threshold

I consider 75% to 80% utilisation the threshold beyond which place, route, and timing begins to require more design effort.

If developing a cost-sensitive, high-volume product, it makes sense to develope the FPGA design on a platform which is considerably larger and faster than what you will need.  When it is time for a production prototype, you will have a much better idea of the minimum FPGA size to fit your design -- much of the design risk (for either not enough gates or excessive cost) has been settled.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos