UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Voyager
Voyager

How to choose correct FPGA part or standard board ?

Jump to solution

Hi Friends,

What are the factors i have to consider to choose perfect FPGA part for custom board and also how to choose correct standard board ?

NOTE: Any help or suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thank You

S Sampath

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Voyager
Voyager

Re: How to choose correct FPGA part or standard board ?

Jump to solution

correct, perfect... are relative. What is the best car? Which is the best place to live? It all depends.

To select an FPGA chip I take these things into account:

- Cost

- Number of I/O

- Area (number of LUTs, DSP ,etc)

- Speed (to choose among -1 -2 and -3)

- Peripherals (like MGT)

I find the 'family product tables' handy for a quick selection. Nevertheless, things may change further down the road. Any project is not fully defined a priori almost by definition

6 Replies
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Step 1: Figure out your requirements (Logic, Memory, Transceivers, Power, Physical Size)

Step 2: Choose a part that satisfies that requirements

Step 3: Find a board that uses that part (or a slightly bigger one) or build your own

Step 4: Figure out if your requirement definitions were good enough

Repeat that for a few projects and you might become quite good at choosing a component. Alternatively: Ask someone with more experience to figure out the requirements and choose a part.

Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

@ssampath It depends heavily on your project. Can you describe what you're working on?

For hobby users, I normally suggest the little Zynq boards - either the Digilent ones (eg. Zybo) or MYIR's Z-Turn (harder to use, but it's cheap and I love having 100+ pins on headers big enough to safely hand-solder). Having the Zynq CPU there eliminates the need to have a JTAG adaptor (because it can boot from an SD card), and it also opens up "processor-style" tasks.

For work, I'd look at the Xilinx development kits (for initial development/prototyping) and then at the Trenz and Enclustra SoMs for production. They're small, they've already figured out all of the really tricky layout problems (like getting 72-bit RAM connected to a Zynq UltraScale+), and the pricing tends to be only slightly more than the bare chips from Digikey. Unless you're a big enough customer that you can get special pricing from Xilinx, it's pretty hard to justify building your own board.

Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

correct, perfect... are relative. What is the best car? Which is the best place to live? It all depends.

To select an FPGA chip I take these things into account:

- Cost

- Number of I/O

- Area (number of LUTs, DSP ,etc)

- Speed (to choose among -1 -2 and -3)

- Peripherals (like MGT)

I find the 'family product tables' handy for a quick selection. Nevertheless, things may change further down the road. Any project is not fully defined a priori almost by definition

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

@u4223374 

Cannot we programm Zybo without JTAG?

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Well, you could have some software in the PS that receives a bitstream through USB, ethernet or whatever channel and puts it into another region of the config flash, use the multiboot feature and there you go.

But, to be honest, jtag is quite simple, straightforward and available, why not using it?

0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

@hayk.petr

The "pure" FPGA boards (any using the Spartan, Artix, Kintex, or Virtex chips) can only be programmed via JTAG. Most of the ones intended for development will include a built-in USB-to-JTAG adaptor. JTAG is perfect for debugging and rapidly testing bitstreams, so this works very well. Those intended for commercial use will generally not have USB-to-JTAG integrated; you need to use an external JTAG adaptor to load them. If you design a custom board, either you have to use an external JTAG adaptor, or you need to pay about $60 US for one of the Digilent surface-mount USB-to-JTAG adaptors.

The Zynq boards (eg. Zybo, Zedboard, UltraZed) can be programmed by JTAG, or the Zynq can boot from an SD card. Most of the development boards still include the USB-to-JTAG chip, but for a custom board you can get away with just putting an SD card socket on there (under $1) instead.