UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

How to estimate the design resource usage in order to decide the device?

Jump to solution

When we do the design architecture, we have to decide the device based on design sepcification. We need to consider the performance of the design (speed) and the resource usage of the design.

Now I have a question is how can I estimate the resouce usage of the design? I know Xilinx IP core has usage in their product guide, there is a section of Resource Utilization. I think I can use it to esitimate how much resource will the IPs in my design cost. But what is the accuracy of these data?

Meanwhile, I can also estimate how much the clock resource and hardware resource (e.g. MGT) cost in my design roughly.

On the other hand, how can I estimate my own custom logic in the design? Is there any standard normal approach?

Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Historian
Historian

Re: How to estimate the design resource usage in order to decide the device?

Jump to solution

@buddha1987 wrote:

So that means there is no good approach to estimate the usage? It looks like not. So for the security, if we have to decide the device before we have the design, it is better to use a big device.

The approach is based on the engineer's experience and having "done it before."

One option is to choose a device family with footprint-compatible parts, so that if you need to you can step up to a larger device if you need to, or step down if you've overspecified.

NB: don't try that with Spartan 6 devices unless you REALLY pay attention to pinouts. That family has some particularly noxious incompatibilities.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
5 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

You can have approximate therotical calculation based on the Product Guides and the interface.

One approach is If you have the RTL design ready with the IPs and interface you can implement the design targetting a closest FPGA to your theoritical estimation,  check the Utilization and timing reports to have an idea.

Based on the reports and resources consumed you can go for smaller or bgger FPGA

Hope this helps

Regards,

Vanitha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

buddha1987 wrote:

On the other hand, how can I estimate my own custom logic in the design? Is there any standard normal approach?

Write the code, run it through the tools, get a real number.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution
Thanks very much for both of your answers.

But I am surprised to know the solution, because the general idea is we have to have the completed design to decide the target device. In some cases, the FPGA design needs to do parallel with PCB design. If we can only decide the device after we have the design, it may be too late for the PCB designer.

So that means there is no good approach to estimate the usage? It looks like not. So for the security, if we have to decide the device before we have the design, it is better to use a big device.
0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

@buddha1987 wrote:

The approach is based on the engineer's experience and having "done it before."

One option is to choose a device family with footprint-compatible parts, so that if you need to you can step up to a larger device if you need to, or step down if you've overspecified.

NB: don't try that with Spartan 6 devices unless you REALLY pay attention to pinouts. That family has some particularly noxious incompatibilities.

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution
Thanks very much.
0 Kudos