Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

How to realize data transfer between FPGA board and PC

Jump to solution

Hello everyone,

I am now using a VC707 board for a project. In the project, data (almost 1GB) will be acquired and stored in the DDR3 module on the board. Now I need to transfer the data from the DDR3 memory into PC to evaluate the acquired data.

I do not pay much attention on how fast the data can be transferred. As long as 1GB of data could be transferred from FPGA board to PC within half an hour it would be fine.

Now I am thinking about transferring data through Ethernet. But I really don’t know how to start. Could anyone give some help? Any suggestion or preliminary tutorial is highly appreciated.

Besides, if anyone knows how to transfer data in other ways than Ethernet, would you please also give me some suggestions?

Thank you very much!

Xun

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Xun,

Did you try to follow the PDF in creating your design?

This design is just for evaluation of the boards and has the ngc files directly generated fromt the source files. However the sourece files are not directly available. You need to purchase them i guess. The IP used in the application is the Tri mode ethernet MAC. You can find the information on this IP from the link -LINK.

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

You can take cue's from the Ethernet Design Creation Example for VC707 board on Xilinx.com.

PDF - LINK

Design - link

All other VC707 Documents can be found from the link - link

Ethernet is one way to transfer your data from Board to PC. You can also use the UART port on the board to transfer the data to the PC.

Check the VC707 Schematics Pg 36 for the USB-UART connections on the VC707 board.

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hello Anirudh,

Thank you for your reply. The Example was very useful. But I need to know more detail about it. It would be good if there is an ISE project with which the bit file of the example design can be generated. But unfortunately there is not an ISE project provided in the example design. What are provided are only the source files in the directory “vc707_ethernet\tri_mode_eth_mac_v5_2_with_sgmii\example_design”. I tried creating an ISE project and adding all the source files to it but it just did not work. I could not synthesize it or create a bit file. Do you know how I should solve this problem?

Xun

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Xun,

Did you try to follow the PDF in creating your design?

This design is just for evaluation of the boards and has the ngc files directly generated fromt the source files. However the sourece files are not directly available. You need to purchase them i guess. The IP used in the application is the Tri mode ethernet MAC. You can find the information on this IP from the link -LINK.

Thanks,
Anirudh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos