Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wpd
Adventurer
Adventurer

ISE 13.1 on Linux breaks apt

Hello,

I just installed ISE 13.1 (0.40d) on my Debian Squeeze box.  If I open a shell window and type:

$ source /opt/Xilinx/13.1/ISE_DS/settings32.sh

then apt commands no longer work,

$ apt-cache search gcc
apt-cache: /opt/Xilinx/13.1/ISE_DS/common/lib/lin/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by apt-cache)
apt-cache: /opt/Xilinx/13.1/ISE_DS/common/lib/lin/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by apt-cache)
apt-cache: /opt/Xilinx/13.1/ISE_DS/common/lib/lin/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by /usr/lib/libapt-pkg.so.4.10)
apt-cache: /opt/Xilinx/13.1/ISE_DS/common/lib/lin/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by /usr/lib/libapt-pkg.so.4.10)

It seems that ISE installed a version of libstdc++ (6.0.8) that is not compatible with my system.  Can I just remove the library from the Xilinux path and use the libstdc++.so.6.0.13 that is installed by default with squeeze?

--wpd

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ywu
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

You can always open a fresh terminal window (i.e. without sourcing settings32.sh) and run apt from the new terminal.

@wpd wrote:

Hello,

I just installed ISE 13.1 (0.40d) on my Debian Squeeze box.  If I open a shell window and type:

$ source /opt/Xilinx/13.1/ISE_DS/settings32.sh

then apt commands no longer work,

$ apt-cache search gcc
apt-cache: /opt/Xilinx/13.1/ISE_DS/common/lib/lin/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by apt-cache)
apt-cache: /opt/Xilinx/13.1/ISE_DS/common/lib/lin/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by apt-cache)
apt-cache: /opt/Xilinx/13.1/ISE_DS/common/lib/lin/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by /usr/lib/libapt-pkg.so.4.10)
apt-cache: /opt/Xilinx/13.1/ISE_DS/common/lib/lin/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by /usr/lib/libapt-pkg.so.4.10)

It seems that ISE installed a version of libstdc++ (6.0.8) that is not compatible with my system.  Can I just remove the library from the Xilinux path and use the libstdc++.so.6.0.13 that is installed by default with squeeze?

--wpd

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos
wpd
Adventurer
Adventurer

yep... that's not the issue.

The issue is that I am trying to run some scripts that happen to use apt utilities as well as Xilinx utitliies.  I suspect that apt isn't the only application affected by this.  It just happens to be the first one that I noticed.

Thanks for the quick reply.  I appreciate it.

--wpd

0 Kudos
ywu
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I see. Things like this happen when you use the IDS tools outside supported OSes. Sorry I don't know your environment enough to give you suggestions on how to resolve your problem. Having said that, one of things I like Linux is with enough hacking and persistence you can always make things work harmoniously in the end.

@wpd wrote:

yep... that's not the issue.

The issue is that I am trying to run some scripts that happen to use apt utilities as well as Xilinx utitliies.  I suspect that apt isn't the only application affected by this.  It just happens to be the first one that I noticed.

Thanks for the quick reply.  I appreciate it.

--wpd

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos
joelby
Advisor
Advisor

Perhaps your script could fork a new shell that loads the Xilinx environment variables, runs the Xilinx tools, and then exits?

It's a bit fiddly, but should work.

0 Kudos
eilert
Teacher
Teacher

Hi,

linux has a mechanism of aliasing libraries.

So you can fake the appearance of your libstdc++.so.6.0.13 to look like libstdc++ (6.0.8).

This works fine in many cases.

But there may be rare cases when some truly incompatible functions are called, causing the program to do somthing wrong, or even crash.

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert

0 Kudos