UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor dprasad019
Visitor

Input to the VGA from RS232(UART) through FPGA

I already have the code to display colours on the screen, i connected xps_bram_controller to bram block, i connected PORT A in Bram block to red_out pin logic and i am giving the input in the hyperterminal Is it Work.........

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Historian
Historian

Re: Input to the VGA from RS232(UART) through FPGA

@dprasad019 wrote:

I already have the code to display colours on the screen, i connected xps_bram_controller to bram block, i connected PORT A in Bram block to red_out pin logic and i am giving the input in the hyperterminal Is it Work.........

And your question is?

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Visitor dprasad019
Visitor

Is that procedure possible?....

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

@dprasad019 wrote:

Is that procedure possible?....

Possibly, but it's still not clear what you're really doing.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Advisor joelby
Advisor

It sounds a bit like you want to implement a sort of basic serial dumb terminal.

What's the serial port connected to at the moment? You can't connect a BRAM directly to a UART - you'll need something that does something like this:

- Wait for character to come in to the UART

- Write the value in to BRAM

If xps_bram_controller works using a frame buffer, then the 'write the value into BRAM' step will actually be more like this:

- Look the character up in a ROM font table

- Write out the whole character (e.g. 8x8 bits, depending on the font size) into the the appropriate parts of the BRAM. This might take several write operations to complete.

- Increment your counter so that the next character goes to the next bit of BRAM.

0 Kudos